1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Back to normal temps!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by nate379, Aug 23, 2012.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Spent a couple weeks up in Maine, just got back this morning.

Had a good time other than the miserable humidity and heat. A few days were in the low 90s.

Helped my brother a bit with firewood for next year, got about 5 cords done. Was really ugly stuff, butts and reject pieces from a furniture factory in Bridgewater. Most were 2 people lift to get the splitter.

Had my fair share of red hot dogs and Moxie too.
    firefighterjake and pen like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    funny you say "up in Maine"...being from Alaska. You were so close, I can't believe we didn't run into each other. ;)
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Maine is always downeast from here...don't know why.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That 90 degrees amazes me. We've had only 2 days of 80 in the last two weeks. However, it is changing as it got well into the 80's today and is supposed to through Sunday. I much prefer those 60's and 70's.
    amateur cutter and LEES WOOD-CO like this.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think it's normal . . . when you live in Maine for a good portion of your life most of the time when you're heading home you're going north or "up."

The reverse applies to . . . I kept saying I was going "down" to visit my sister in Alaska . . . again . . . a life time of going south or "down" to other states . . . a hard habit to break.
    Delta-T likes this.
  6. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Oh, oh . . . I know the answer to this one . . . downeast refers to the winds on the coast from back in the days of the sailing ships.
    fishingpol likes this.
  7. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I hear ya . . . it's been a pretty hot, humid summer this year . . . which means we were able to put the pool to a lot of use. Productivity however suffered around the house since I have very little gumption to do much work when it's hot and humid. In the past couple of days things have changed . . . it still is getting warm in the day (80s), but cooler at night and lower humidity.
  8. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    it was quite warm in ME when we were at Acadia, but I wasn't sure how normal/abnormal it was. I expected more cool ocean breeze. Water was normal Maine arctic temps though...made my ankles hurt. Prolly not so much body surfing in Alaska either. I once read that even though the Inuit people are very adapt at the art of the kayak, that a very low percentage of them can swim because the water never really affords them the opportunity to learn. I can't imagine having to hunt from a kayak (something much larger than you in many cases) and not knowing how to swim. Somewheres between courage and crazy.
  9. nate379

nate379 Guest

Yeah I noticed it was starting to get a bit more comfortable the last couple days I was there. I mostly stayed at my brother's place in Houlton. He has an old farm house with around 100 acres, always something to work on.
  10. nate379

nate379 Guest

Got a 2 liter of Moxie to try out again, been probably 20 years since I drank that stuff. I remembered it being the nastiest soda ever made, but my pepere drank it all the time.

Guess the taste for it develops as you get older cause I didn't mind it. Not exactly my favorite, but wasn't horrible either.