Back to the drawing board p61 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Well we were going out the back of the fireplace with vent. That puts me right at or just under the max horizontal limit. So now I either need to put in a 4" vertcal for a few ft. Or just figure out a 4" liner and keep all enclosed. Nobody seems to like my through the fireplace install idea, including Harman. I have to cut a notch in the existing heatilator that lines my fireplace. Everyone, probably the inspector too likes the liner idea. My stepson can help do it either way. At least it ends up being a vertical exit this way.

Good luck.
ya I'm off work today, had have a biopsy performed. A bit sore, stiff what ever. Tomorrow is another day, I can go up to my work and get the torches to notch the heatilator. From there its an easy install. Inspectors will like it, Harman, two dealers. Maybe the stove too!

Reactions: Ctcarl
Don't forget the 3" liner for the fresh air. Don't create uncomfortable drafts pulling the burn air from all the cracks in the house!

Don't forget the 3" liner for the fresh air. Don't create uncomfortable drafts pulling the burn air from all the cracks in the house!
Yes that's in the works as well. I haven't exactly figured out the route for that yet ( thinking initially to the left of the fireplace), but yes it will happen.

I am thinking of doing the same thing when I install my stove this spring. If you use the Serlink DT vent pipe do you only have to make one hole through the chimney
for the pipe and you connect the oak up off that from behind the stove inside the house? I am pretty sure I saw a picture on here not that long ago that was done that way.
Good luck with the install........

I am thinking of doing the same thing when I install my stove this spring. If you use the Serlink DT vent pipe do you only have to make one hole through the chimney
for the pipe and you connect the oak up off that from behind the stove inside the house? I am pretty sure I saw a picture on here not that long ago that was done that way.
I believe that is one way yes, however here on Cape Cod it seems that doesn't have dealer support. I kind of like working with the dealer, even though they all have their issues too. But then you can go back and say hey, what about "this" ? This being either an option or a problem with something that didn't work out, speaking face to face with another human being !

Did they give you a reason why they didn't want you to do it the way that you intended?
Doesn't harman say you can direct vent this stove? I didn't think it would be a problem.
I imagine that having a vertical vent is a good idea in the event that you loose power.
I was hoping that I could vent it through the back of the fireplace through the chimney.
The pluses to me are that I wouldn't have to get on my roof to clean a 20' ss flexible liner.
I also wouldn't have to run an oak up the chimney or put a block of plate below the damper.
If I went out the chimney I could use a solid pipe and clean it from a step ladder.
Many people on here seem to have good luck with the Serlink DT pipe from what I have read

Hi deercamp

Was this the Selkirk DT install you saw?
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hht-upgrade-using-selkirk-dt.111897/
After I put in the DT, I do not get any carbon buildup in thee burn pot!

Did they give you a reason why they didn't want you to do it the way that you intended?
Doesn't harman say you can direct vent this stove? I didn't think it would be a problem.
I imagine that having a vertical vent is a good idea in the event that you loose power.
I was hoping that I could vent it through the back of the fireplace through the chimney.
The pluses to me are that I wouldn't have to get on my roof to clean a 20' ss flexible liner.
I also wouldn't have to run an oak up the chimney or put a block of plate below the damper.
If I went out the chimney I could use a solid pipe and clean it from a step ladder.
Many people on here seem to have good luck with the Serlink DT pipe from what I have read
First, I did not go to the dealer I bought the stove from. I was in another town for a biopsy and stopped at a Harman stove shop there. The owner there said I don't see why you don't just go up the chimney and I stated pretty much what you just did, plus my cut of the heatilator. She said she was pretty sure I would have lazy draft but she would call Harman and find out. She did that, they suggested a vertical rise or 2 ft horizontal. 4 ft horizontal would vent but be lazy and the stove require more cleaning. The recommendation for best draft is 2 ft or less horizontal and then a vertical. In my case that puts me up the chimney ( the stove pipe not me literally).

Where you are doing an insert ( I had asked about this before when I too was considering an insert), you need a 90 right off that bat on the insert if to go out the back of the fireplace. Then it's maybe two ft out?, they said use 4" pipe for that install because of that 90. But really if you think about it you probably want a rise as well. I don't know how you think of a vertical outside your chimney, you could strap one to the outside, say 6 ft ? I don't care for that idea and i have visions of the building inspector not liking it as well, as that install is not in the Harman book.

Cleaning is not an issue, you can clean from inside with any of these. Run a brush up from inside out is all. You can reverse a shop vac too and blow it out or do the leaf blower trick. I thought I wanted all in one pipe as well, but I have no issue with running an OAK separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.