Back-up generator for P68.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJS

Oct 27, 2014
NorthCentral PA
Recently purchased a P68 (replaced a TL300 and Magnafire III)--looking to get something to power the stove when/if the power is out. Any ideas on the Harman battery backup device, or recommendations to crank up the stove if power is out...

Congrats on the new stove!
At the minimum, you need to have "True Sine Wave" output to your stove. (Inverters or generators)
I tried a cheap 12v to 115v inverter which was not a Pure Sine Wave. AC motors did not like it.
There are a lot of posts covering this subject. Do a search.

Here is a link to a Pure Sine Wave Converter. There are many out there. Should be some posts from
Folks who have them. I imagine there are some brands to stay away from. This is an example....

http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-11240-Inverter-Remote-Control/dp/B000WGNNUQ
We do not have a backup.....yet

Good luck and enjoy the stove!

I have an APC with a pair of 90aH marine batteries wired in which gives me about 8 hours of runtime in a power failure. I also have a portable generator for longer outages.

I have an APC with a pair of 90aH marine batteries wired in which gives me about 8 hours of runtime in a power failure. I also have a portable generator for longer outages.
Which APC model do you have? Pure Sine Wave?

Thanks!

I have alternative energy; solar array, battery bank, inverter and grid, plus a generator. If I was just starting out I would just get a good dependable generator. My choice is Honda, I bought the EU2000. It is an inverter generator so control boards and computers work, it is economical and portable. If I went with just a generator I would probably go a little larger. I am sure there are other good brands/models out there, just get a good one so that it will be ready when you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.