Backdraft through second flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ozzy osburn

Oct 28, 2020
Massachusetts
odd little problem... It have a two flue chimney with a wood stove on the first floor Connected to one flue and and second stove in the basement Connected to the second. Lately I’ve been noticing a slight smoke smell in the basement when the first floor stove is running only. It seems like it is drafting down the second flue through the unused stove and pull some smoke down with it. If crack a window on first floor seems to stop.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or any possible solution other that cracking window.

Any one know if any type of air tight backdraft preventor could install on basement stove maybe?

Do both flues terminate at the same height? If so, raising the upper floor flue by 12-18" can cure this issue. Extendaflue makes extenders.

Reactions: moresnow
Do both flues terminate at the same height? If so, raising the upper floor flue by 12-18" can cure this issue. Extendaflue makes extenders.

thanks for reply, they do terminate at same height, and that got me thinking. I put on a chimney cap for rain this past summer, and the backdraft issue seems far more noticeable this year. The cap could be making it worse too. I may take that off and try the extension.

thanks again for info