1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

backpuffing smoke

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by matt, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt

matt New Member

I have a Thulman Majestic corner wood burning insert unit that was installed in a single story family room addition (probably in the 70s), attached to my 2 story home facing west. My exterior chimney seems to be 2 feet about the family room roof peak, but isn't nearly as high as the 2 story roof. The chimney is probably about 12 feet from the main part of the house.

On a windy day (typically wind from west coming over the top of the house), when not burning wood, I have cold air blowing down the flu and into room. When buring wood, sometimes smoke blows into room.

Any suggestions to solve the problem? Any guaranteed solutions?

I really like buring wood and would prefer not to move to gas direct vent.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    If you're using it for heat I would highly recommend a wood insert. That aside look at the Vacustack caps. They make one for air cooled chimneys that should adapt nicely. Unless you have one of those majestics that have a sheet metal chase and are painted to look like brick. They have a 13x13 sheet metal "flue tile" In that case get a vacustack with a 13x13 adapter.
  3. matt

matt New Member

Thank you Shane. What do you mean a wood insert? I do have a sheet metal chase painted to look like brick and was told that a Vacustack wouldn't work because of that. Do they have adapters that will work? I didn't see them on their website.
  4. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    I used a Vacustack on my WV house. Got some terrible backdrafts on windy days. Like fill the room with smoke kinda backdrafts.

The Vacustack solved the problem and worked like a champ.

I don't know if they make one for your application, just thought I would pass along my experience.
  5. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Yep, use teh vacustack masonry adapter. I've used them several times on those majestics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.