Backpuffing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So I just had the stove running hotter than it has yet, around 500 surface. When I closed the damper, I got some backpuffing. I opened the damper back up, let the temps climb again, and closed it down again and it was fine.

One thing I noticed is that my installer left the liner extended a few inches beyond the chimney, thereby decreasing the distance to the cap. Obviously that makes it somewhat more difficult for gasses to escape, but is there any clearance specification or recommendation? I'm really hoping just cutting back the liner a bit will do the trick, because if it's a draft problem I don't see much recourse other than running a top exit straight through the roof $$.

It is not uncommon that the VC NC stoves backpuff. In fact, there is a section in my Defiant's manual about it, and quite a few other posts - including mine from last year. On a couple of occasions this year we've had it backpuff. We have excellent draft up a 20+' DBL wall chimney. Often, adjusting the air control helps, but other times we need to open the damper, let it air out, then close it again. It got pretty bad at one point last season. We found that vacuuming the ash in the back of the fountain assembly really made a difference and helped smooth things out. The manual recommends this as regular maintenance. If your stove is new, I wouldn't see a need to vacuum. Perhaps trimming your liner away from your cap will make a difference, but I'd be surprised if it solved the problem all together. It's just another futzzy aspect of the stove.

You have reduced the air too quickly.

When we had a VC Vigilant we cured the backpuffing problem by simply putting a large paper clip on the damper door to keep it from completely closing. Anytime you want the damper to close completely simply remove the paperclip.

Status
Not open for further replies.