Bad Contractor - Western PA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterpa64

Jan 24, 2010
Pa
I wanted to warn anyone in the western Pa, (Westmoreland Co), area to be careful in choosing who they contract to do there work as far as fireplace installs and chimney relines.

Let's start with how I located the contractor, craigslist. The 1st signal should have been when he couldn't even purchase the material and had to have me call an internet supplier and use my credit card to order the material. Also, allowing him to order additional material for his own personal use, big mistake

His initial contact didn't involve any measuring or any itemized list of work. Just boastful promises.

So, since he tells me he's done 100's of installs I figure he must be a pro and doesn't need to measure etc. He tells me he'll install my insert and reline my chimney, be in and out in 4 hrs. Well, it takes that long for him to butcher my damper plate out of my masonary fireplace. About now, I'm getting concerned. So I pick up the installation manual for the 1402 Napolean and start to ask a few questions. I ask should I use a grate with this stove? He says oh yeah. I point out that on page 1 it says not to use a grate or elevate the wood in anyway. He leaves, call #1, the blowers won't come on, he has to return. Call #2, I read the manual some more ad see 28" of clearance to combustables above, (mantle), required. I have 19" to a wood mantle with a recessed flourescent light fixture that was so hot I couldn't touch it directly above the insert. He returns and installs heat shield on mantle. Call #3, I continue to read manual, no block off plate installed. After a few days, he returns. Has some flimsy razor sharp stainless which after 3 trys he manages to piece together a 2 piece form of a block off plate with a couple of screws holding it and a few handfuls of furnace cement. I really need to pull the surround off and take some pics of this job for all of your amusement.

Let' continue, this ain't finished yet. I was having trouble with the glass smoking up in the lower left corner. Oh it's the wood, oh it's not hot enough. Well bought a thermo and a moisture meter. Not the wood, temps up to 575 F? Appears a different contractor who did a fantastic job on my basement looks at the door and says the gasket is separated at the bottom. I glue it, presto, problem solved.

Well about now my confidence in this so called professional is not even on the scale. I start to look at everything. Call #4, I have a 2x6 wood trim around my hearth extension that the insert sits on. It's so close to the stove that when you pull the draft lever out it sticks out past it. The manual says 48". He returns, removes wood, leaves hearth extension unfinished.

A month goes by. I want to check my liner and see I am burning ok. I go up on the roof and see what looks like a dryer vent pipe sticking out of my tile chimney not even cut smooth, jagged edges etc. I remove the cap and start to run thepoly brush down and feel this liner moving back and forth in my tile chimney. I wonder if my liner is going to push against the razor sharp make-shift block off plate he made and slice it. I wonder why my liner is so thin and flimsy compared to the job the other contractor did on my other basement flue. I wonder how if he insulated and thermixed my flue that this liner is moving at all? Call #5, I get told the liner is the best, a Dura Flex 316 Ti, lifetime guarantee. The top of the chimney is sealed with a handful of insulation not the entire as discussed. I ask for receipts for liner to prove what it is, none provided.

My surround vibrates so loud at around 400 - 450 F that you have to turn it down on low and push against it to quiet it down. The side covers on the air intakes vibrate and pop off occassionally which explains what I intially thoughts was a loud ping and the stove cracking. I guess the lesser of two evils.

I seen this guy is now advertising on this site too and while I will follow up my complaints to the appropriate authorities I don't want to see anyone else go through what I have dealt with. If his claim is true that he has installed 100"s then there are most likely some people who need to back check his work for safety sake. It won't be hard to figure out which business he is because when you read an ad with the worst grammar you have ever seen you'll know who he is. Trust me, his work is as poor as his grammar.

Trust me, BUY FROM A DEALER. I did on my 2nd job and it is flawless.

My patience has been pushed almost to the max. I want the job completed correctly and am willing to work with this individual. If he is unable to complete the work correctly with a reasonable time I will most definitely be filing complaints with the BBB as well as the Attorney Generals Office and Consumer Affairs.

Please, just be careful who you deal with. Times are tough and the bait and switch game is in full force in Westmoreland Co PA.

Sorry to hear you troubles. Just goes to show if you hire someone its better to speak with a satisfied customer at least. Personally I would like at least 4 references.

Report him to the BBB, but more importantly post who he is so people in your area can avoid him.

Well honestly, in some ways I feel for the guy. I know times are tough and everyone is trying to make a living. But I'm in the same boat. I was kinda hoping he'd come around and do the right thing by me. I want to believe that maybe I am the exception rather than the rule. Initially he said we needed to resolve this, then he stopped communicating. So the next step will be in the hands of the BBB. From there the State Attorney General. And then if no resolution can be reached I'll gladly post some pics of the job etc.

In the meantime, for anyone in the area here considering this work can gladly contact me personally and I'll be happy to provide a reference if by chance you are using the same contractor.

For now, let's leave it at that until I see if this can be resolved amicably.

Yeah I know, you sound like my wife, lol. You know the guy wasa local fella who seemed OK. So I figured why not help a local guy out making an honest living.

Right now I have no clue whether or not my liner is even correct for wood. He admits he scabbed it off of someone else's job, 15 Ft of a 6" liner. He must have really over ordered on his last customer huh, to have 15 ft extra just laying around.

He claims it's a Dura Flex 316 Ti. Any way I can tell? He won't provide me with any documentation, just his word, which from what we have seen so far isn't very good. I can tell you it's corrugated inside and out and feels super thin and flexable. Seriously, it looks like a dryer vent.

madison said:
sorry to hear your bad experience, but honestly, you expected a quality contractor to be found on CRAIGSLIST?
Exactly! If you where so happy with you 1st install....Why change installers? Price?

I think you have it backwards. My 1st install was the bad one. The 2nd was the good one, from the Non-Craigslist contractor.

hunterpa64 said:
Yeah I know, you sound like my wife, lol. You know the guy wasa local fella who seemed OK. So I figured why not help a local guy out making an honest living.

Right now I have no clue whether or not my liner is even correct for wood. He admits he scabbed it off of someone else's job, 15 Ft of a 6" liner. He must have really over ordered on his last customer huh, to have 15 ft extra just laying around.

He claims it's a Dura Flex 316 Ti. Any way I can tell? He won't provide me with any documentation, just his word, which from what we have seen so far isn't very good. I can tell you it's corrugated inside and out and feels super thin and flexable. Seriously, it looks like a dryer vent.

How can you tell? If you and your house is still there after a few fires in the stove.

Just his word?

Exactly my point. Everytime I ask for some documentation I get nothing. I couldn't even ge him to provide me a copy of my original invoice from his supplier, Copperfield. I had to contact them personally, which was a pain because they "only deal with dealers". Eventually I did get the invoice reflecting my credit card charges to the installer's account.

The installer wasn't happy I contated his supplier, but after 2 weeks plus waiting, I needed my invoice since I suspected being shorted.

So now I keep asking him to give me someting to prove what the liner is and it's warranty etc. Of course that isn't happening. I want to KNOW what the liner is so I can verify his install is correct. Had it not been for his numerous errors on the insert install, I wouldn't be concerned maybe. But judging from what I do know and have seen so far I feel I am justified in being concerned.

hunterpa64 said:

Sounds like aluminum! If it is don't use the stove. Aluminum liners are for gas fired appliances only. Like a water heater/furnace.

hunterpa64 said:
Exactly my point. Everytime I ask for some documentation I get nothing. I couldn't even ge him to provide me a copy of my original invoice from his supplier, Copperfield. I had to contact them personally, which was a pain because they "only deal with dealers". Eventually I did get the invoice reflecting my credit card charges to the installer's account.

The installer wasn't happy I contated his supplier, but after 2 weeks plus waiting, I needed my invoice since I suspected being shorted.

So now I keep asking him to give me someting to prove what the liner is and it's warranty etc. Of course that isn't happening. I want to KNOW what the liner is so I can verify his install is correct. Had it not been for his numerous errors on the insert install, I wouldn't be concerned maybe. But judging from what I do know and have seen so far I feel I am justified in being concerned.
Did he pull a permit? Was it inspected and approved?

None that I was given. He claimed he is a certified inspector too. I searched a website for certifed sweeps etc in my area, his name did not show up.

hunterpa64 said:
The 1st signal should have been when he couldn't even purchase the material and had to have me call an internet supplier and use my credit card to order the material. Also, allowing him to order additional material for his own personal use, big mistake

Yeah kind of a red flag to know that he may get the job done, but won't be a top notch professional.

His initial contact didn't involve any measuring or any itemized list of work. Just boastful promises.

Been there and done that. Pay for the materials and pay for the labor in installments until work is complete. Some people that are skilled with tools etc, are not exactly skilled with writing contracts. Just the way it is. Doesn't mean they won't do good work.

So, since he tells me he's done 100's of installs I figure he must be a pro and doesn't need to measure etc. He tells me he'll install my insert and reline my chimney, be in and out in 4 hrs. Well, it takes that long for him to butcher my damper plate out of my masonary fireplace. About now, I'm getting concerned.

No offense, but every install is different. I installed my Vogelzang in 3 hours including the liner and installed the Nap in 8 hours, liner already installed. ( It was a b1tch! ) Time estimates are always just estimates. But I can understand your concern.
So I pick up the installation manual for the 1402 Napolean and start to ask a few questions. I ask should I use a grate with this stove? He says oh yeah. I point out that on page 1 it says not to use a grate or elevate the wood in anyway.

Some stoves in the past could use a grate. Did you buy the Nap from him?

He leaves, call #1, the blowers won't come on, he has to return. Call #2,

Call #1 doesn't sound like his fault. I got the same insert, installed it myself. The blowers came put together already and I simply plugged them in. If they didn't work, it was something wrong at the factory. Call#2/3 Each stove has different clearances. If you didn't buy the stove from him, it was your responsibility to let him know what those clearances are. And a block off plate is not required as far as I am aware. He sounded like he knew what he was doing to put a shield up etc.

Let' continue, this ain't finished yet. I was having trouble with the glass smoking up in the lower left corner. Oh it's the wood, oh it's not hot enough. Well bought a thermo and a moisture meter. Not the wood, temps up to 575 F? Appears a different contractor who did a fantastic job on my basement looks at the door and says the gasket is separated at the bottom. I glue it, presto, problem solved.

You paid him to install the stove right? The gasket comes pre-glued from the factory. Not his fault they didn't glue it right. These things happen. No big deal.

Well about now my confidence in this so called professional is not even on the scale. I start to look at everything. Call #4, I have a 2x6 wood trim around my hearth extension that the insert sits on. It's so close to the stove that when you pull the draft lever out it sticks out past it. The manual says 48". He returns, removes wood, leaves hearth extension unfinished.

The required distance is 16 inches in the US from the glass. You don't need 48 inches.

Call #5, I get told the liner is the best, a Dura Flex 316 Ti, lifetime guarantee. The top of the chimney is sealed with a handful of insulation not the entire as discussed. I ask for receipts for liner to prove what it is, none provided.

You should have bought the liner yourself to prevent this. I know 20/20 hindsight. :( I am sure it is fine for wood burning. Most of them are fine for wood in the size. They will seem thin and it will be jagged when cut. Not much one can do to prevent that. If you have the lifetime warranty than you need that documentation. That would piss me off! Normal protocol is to insulate the top and sometimes bottom. Some people want the entire thing insulated, but it isn't really super important.
My surround vibrates so loud at around 400 - 450 F

That is a common problem with Nap inserts. Need to call Nap and see about replacing those covers. My trim vibrates from time to time. It isn't the installers fault.

If his claim is true that he has installed 100"s then there are most likely some people who need to back check his work for safety sake. It won't be hard to figure out which business he is because when you read an ad with the worst grammar you have ever seen you'll know who he is. Trust me, his work is as poor as his grammar.

He's just labor man. No offense but some people do their trades because they were not well suited for academics... i.e.. Never finished school. I have saved quite a bit of money hiring these type of people, but you can only expect so much from them.
Trust me, BUY FROM A DEALER. I did on my 2nd job and it is flawless.

You should have installed it yourself. A lot of people here could have given you tips. :) Would save you a bunch of money and you could brag to everyone about how you installed yourself. Installers....Don't need no stinking installers! :)
My patience has been pushed almost to the max. I want the job completed correctly and am willing to work with this individual.
Whenever you are dealing with an individual and not an outfit or company, know what you want and need upfront. You have learned this go around that you have to do the mental work ( figuring out whats required ) and pay them for the physical work. That's all your paying them for after all. You don't have to become an engineer overnight to hire these guys, but know what you are installing and how you want it installed beforehand. I wouldn't waste my time with the BBB, he won't.

Btw, wanted to let you know. The gasket on my Napoleon 1402 has a small gap in the door gasket at the very bottom, so far hasn't caused a problem. Also found the right blower motor to be missing 2 screws and only had 1 holding it in place which was loose. You may want to check those out as well. So far ( It's been about 2/3 weeks ) this stove has been amazing. In my short time testing it, has really pumped out the heat compared to my old stove.

Here's my stove freshly installed: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53548/

Happy burning! :)

I try to warn folks all the time about this. They'll come in and look at a stove, get a price for the stove, piping materials and labor. They proceed to scurry home to the computer to check out how much our shop is ripping them off for. Wow! $2000 for an insert?? I can buy a brand new one for $1500 from northern tools. $500 for a liner system?? Hah, I found one on ebay for $375. $600 for installation??? Hogwash! I found a chimney sweep that will install it for $400. So I saved me $825! yeeehaw! Well, that really only adds up to $577 savings with the tax credit, but still, thats a lot of money!

2 weeks later, they same customer comes in looking all sheepish...umm "I need to by that $500 liner, because the one I bought on ebay as the wrong size and it's gonna take me forever to get my money back...and uhhh, the chimey sweep came and tried to double his labor charge because he didnt know the insert was so heavy" (both true stories btw) Then fast forward 6 more months.."umm, the fan doesnt work on my insert and I cant find someone who stocks the parts for it and northern tools wont send someone to my house to replace it under warranty" (true statement)

Then they tell me "I should have just paid the extra and dealt with a local proffesional"

It drives me nuts. But how do you warn the customer about this without sounding like a used car salesman. I got a guy this morning that picked up a stove. I quoted him $900 installed for a 25' stainless liner with a tee kit. He said he found a chimney sweep who will do it for $700 installed. True story. I'm just waiting for the call. I give it 2 weeks or so.

Franks said:
I try to warn folks all the time about this. They'll come in and look at a stove, get a price for the stove, piping materials and labor. They proceed to scurry home to the computer to check out how much our shop is ripping them off for. Wow! $2000 for an insert?? I can buy a brand new one for $1500 from northern tools. $500 for a liner system?? Hah, I found one on ebay for $375. $600 for installation??? Hogwash! I found a chimney sweep that will install it for $400. So I saved me $825! yeeehaw! Well, that really only adds up to $577 savings with the tax credit, but still, thats a lot of money!

2 weeks later, they same customer comes in looking all sheepish...umm "I need to by that $500 liner, because the one I bought on ebay as the wrong size and it's gonna take me forever to get my money back...and uhhh, the chimey sweep came and tried to double his labor charge because he didnt know the insert was so heavy" (both true stories btw) Then fast forward 6 more months.."umm, the fan doesnt work on my insert and I cant find someone who stocks the parts for it and northern tools wont send someone to my house to replace it under warranty" (true statement)

Then they tell me "I should have just paid the extra and dealt with a local proffesional"

It drives me nuts. But how do you warn the customer about this without sounding like a used car salesman. I got a guy this morning that picked up a stove. I quoted him $900 installed for a 25' stainless liner with a tee kit. He said he found a chimney sweep who will do it for $700 installed. True story. I'm just waiting for the call. I give it 2 weeks or so.

How the hell did you know I said yeeehaw? Damn your good man! :lol:

Be honest Franks, if you research it and read up on the subject to a decent extent, one could easily install a stove themselves. I mean wrong size liner? How hard is it to measure the length and width of your chimney? Every manufacter of stoves I know of that sell through Northerntool are accessible for parts under warranty. I mean true, you may actually have to find their phone number on the front page of the manual that came with the stove. Then true you might have to wait 3 days for UPS to bring said part to your door. I know cause I first bought a Vogelzang through Northern Tool and had my blower replaced under warranty. It was a 10 minute call and 3 day wait for shipment. I DID have to install the fan myself.

Anyway, not saying your wrong Franks, I supported my local dealer for materials at least. I just think you have some stupid customers. Some people that pinch pennies yeeehaw themselves to the bank and admire their craftsmanship on their stove installs. <<<<<< ME! Ahahah! :lol:

I appreciate your points, well taken.

The fact that I hired him and purchased through him and his supplier was because he presented himself as being thorough and experienced with the install we discussed. I really didn't think that I would need to back check his work for compliance with the installation manual. That's the big scarey part. I mean what if all his other customer's just take him for his word and assume he is 100% correct? To me, these type of contractors need weeded out.

Yes, I purchased the Nap on his account with Copperfield. Delivered to his home and retain a receipt in his companies name for the stove. However, he is not a dealer. I chose the Nap 1402 because he said he was very familar with it andhad installed many, kinda made me feel safe knowing that was his stove of experience. So when I saw that obviously he wasn't up on all the specs it certainly was alarming.

Respectfully, I disagree with it being my responsibilty to spec out the job. Like I said the stovewas purchased through him and that's what I paid for the install for. To have it done safely, by a professional.

As for the block off plate. I read many discussions on here pro and con. So I contacted Nap personally and ask if they permitted deviation from the written requirements in their manual. They responded in writing absolutely not. That's why I insisted it be done. It did make a substantial difference. I even went to the trouble of sending the installer several links detailing neat and complete installs of this. Afte he read Nap's response, he threw together a totally slopped up attempt at the block off plate. It has a few screws holding it in and a ton of furnace cement sealing it. How long will that last? I would have been ok with the choice of material for it had he pulled the insert and done a decent job and even he admitted it would hav been easier. Not a very good work ethic the way he did it.

I don't criticize a guy for not being totally literate or able to write a legible contract, but I do expect the work to comply with what you claim you'll do and with pretty simple requirements. When I pointed out issues in the 1402 manual for clearances etc it was like it was the 1st time he had read this. He actually called his supplier from my home to ask about verifying whether the combustable clearance to the mantle was 28" and whether he had to remove the 2x6 wood trim from the bottom front of my hearth extension that was 2" away from the insert. You could hear the shock in thevoice of the supplier when he questioned these clearances.

At the time of discussing the install, I stressed I wanted the best and safest liner that could be used in the set up. Again, I contracted a self proclaimed expert to handle these decisions based upon my needs. Being it's a straight shot I think something alittle more rigid couldhave been used and I questioned that. Instead i was toldit would be just as good because it was blanketed and poured with thermix. That wasn't done or the liner wouldn't be swimming around in my 13x13 tile flue. Whether or not it would be needed doesn't matter, it was agreed to be done and not.

I think I have a right to some document to prove what the actual liner is? Whether he pilfered it from another job or not. To end up with a continous 15 ft section of liner obviously means he over ordered on someone's job just like mine.

Like I said, I purchased everythingthrough him and his supplier. He was paid to do the install, which if none of the shortcomings of the "final" product are his responsibilty then I suppose he could have carried in theinsert, sit it in the fireplace and said there you go, it's installed, cya. I know that's an exageration but to accept payment for a service should result in the service being provided reasonably correctly barring any unforseen complications. If a gail wind blows 75 mph and my cap comes off, not his fault. To not properly complete the job is incompetence at best and negligence at worst.

This site is wonderful, I wish I hadknown about it long ago. All of the knowledge here is incredible. Thanks to you all!

Of course you said "yehhhhaw! Your from VA! Self installs are great for some folks. What I have a problem with is folks blindly calling up guys they find in the penny saver, CL, etc and trusting them with installing a unit that makes fire in your home. Hell, it's not like your talking about a carpet or walkway. Stoves, fireplaces, etc can all cause fires, damage, injury or death if not installed/used properly.

I'm just relating real life experiences from my customers. Heck, I have a guy who lives across the street from me who bought a used Harman pellet stove. He knows the business I am in. I offered to come check out the stove before he bought it. He didnt listen, bought the stove, installed it himself and had a myriad of problems with it. So, he yanked it out. I told him to see me before he went out and bought another stove. Did he listen? Nope. He went and got another used stove and paid the same price as I would have charged him for a brand new one (giving him the neighbor discount) He told me he just "assumed" used stoves would be cheaper. This guy either secretly hates me, or is just so conditioned to think that a retail brick and mortar specialty store soley exists to rip off the working man. Drives me nuts I'll tell you.

This is a senstive issue to me, being a hearth retailer for 26 years and seeing our client base being chipped away at by these huge internet shippers. It seems some day, maybe sooner than later, our primary income is going to be from repairing/installing the mass merchant stoves and fireplaces. It may become needed to charge premiums for fixing other folks mistakes in order to keep the doors open.

Yeehaw indeed.

And your right about one thing...stupid customers. Not stupid really, but making stupid decisions sometimes. There's a reason I don't replace the bearings on my own car. Sure, I could buy the parts from Napa, sure I can look up online how to do it myself and save a few hundred bucks. But that car transports my wife and son...why take a chance? Changing the oil, sure..but come on man, sometimes it's better to pay a pro

hunterpa64 said:

So how can I tell if it's aluminum and not stainless?

hunterpa64 said:
hunterpa64 said:

So how can I tell if it's aluminum and not stainless?
MAGNET?

Corriewf said:
Franks said:

How the hell did you know I said yeeehaw? Damn your good man! :lol:

Be honest Franks, if you research it and read up on the subject to a decent extent, one could easily install a stove themselves. I mean wrong size liner? How hard is it to measure the length and width of your chimney? Every manufacter of stoves I know of that sell through Northerntool are accessible for parts under warranty. I mean true, you may actually have to find their phone number on the front page of the manual that came with the stove. Then true you might have to wait 3 days for UPS to bring said part to your door. I know cause I first bought a Vogelzang through Northern Tool and had my blower replaced under warranty. It was a 10 minute call and 3 day wait for shipment. I DID have to install the fan myself.

Anyway, not saying your wrong Franks, I supported my local dealer for materials at least. I just think you have some stupid customers. Some people that pinch pennies yeeehaw themselves to the bank and admire their craftsmanship on their stove installs. <<<<<< ME! Ahahah! :lol:

I think a whole lot more people do their own installs and either don't have real problems, or accept the fact that if they have problems, it will be up to them to either sort it out themselves or call for help. For them, it's no big deal. But i agree many people also watch some home improvment show, and say, "hey it's just pounding some nails right?" I am one of the guys who gets to fix that sort of activity.

Sometimes working with your local dealer is problematic.. we bought our stove at a dealer 15 miles from the house. But they are a pain to work with. Good people, just, well, not great businesss people.

For instance: When removing my fireplace chimney, I found my chase cap (galvenized) rotted through in two places. Patched it with roof cement, went to local dealer, explained what I needed, had full measuerments and description of what I wanted. Standard single hole (11") stainless steel with cross bracing, drip edge and 2" collar. I have contacted them 4 times in the last 6 weeks, still no answer. Literally just last night, I went on line did a bit of research, found a company with a good rep, $420 to the house. Just as I wanted it made. Guess who's getting my $$? I'd rather give it to them.. but I don't feel the need to follow up for weeks and months to get a part. Don't ask me what I went through to get my heat shield and blower through them.

and as a side note to Frank's post, and I do understand your position, the tax break on the cost of the stove comes from buying a brandnew approved stove, someone buying from Northern Tool still gets to claim the credit.

Yeah, DD...All dealers are not created the same. I did just a customer stainless chase pan for a customer. I sent the PO to Copperfield chimney sweep, (every hearth shop should have a copy) and I had the pan here in 1 week. Also, my mention of the tax credit..you get more of a credit when you spend more money (up to $5000 in purchases or $1500 in credits) Thats what I meant about the 800 savings actually being less. I know the el cheapo stoves still qualify but if you save $500 on a stove, for example:

Franks Stove $2000 retail. Tax credit of $600 net cost of $1400
Joe's online china stove $1500 retail ($500 less) $450 credit net cost $1050

So really, they arent saving $500, they are saving $350. Thats the difference I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.