Bad news!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corey21

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 28, 2010
Soutwest VA
Well i took my stove pipe off to have a look at my chimney. Thick black creosote all the way up. not going to burn till i get it swept going to do that tomorrow.

corey21 said:
Well i took my stove pipe off to have a look at my chimney. Thick black creosote all the way up. not going to burn till i get it swept going to do that tomorrow.
Those low flue temps are killing you.

oldspark said:
corey21 said:
Those low flue temps are killing you.
yeah big time lesson learned.

roberth42 said:
Can I ask you when was the last time it was swept?
chimney was clean before i put the new stove in. and that was 2 weeks ago.

Holy chit tell us more what type wood moisture content etc.

n3pro said:
WOW that bad after two weeks! At least you found out before the big POOF!
yeah im lucky i thought to check.

wood is fine my probe stays below 400 im just not putting enough wood in to get high temps.

What's your chimney setup? Is your liner insulated?

krex1010 said:
What's your chimney setup? Is your liner insulated?
I have a factory built chimney 11 feet tall.

What is the flue size? Does your stove pipe vent into a much larger flue?

krex1010 said:
What is the flue size? Does your stove pipe vent into a much larger flue?
6 inch outlet in to 6 inch pipe

Why such low flue temps? Cutting back the air to soon and letting the wood smolder?

albertj03 said:
Why such low flue temps? Cutting back the air to soon and letting the wood smolder?
The only way i have got good temps is to leave the door open well cracked. Now my last stove worked great and it was hooked up to the same chimney as this one. no creosote filled pipes. i think this stove is junk.

Sounds more like the wood is not ready to burn this year?

BeGreen said:
i used this wood last winter in the other stove i had a surface thermo on the pipe it was hard to keep it out of the red zone pushed 500 in no time.

corey21 said:
BeGreen said:
i used this wood last winter in the other stove i had a surface thermo on the pipe it was hard to keep it out of the red zone pushed 500 in no time.

corey21 last year I resplit our wood because I split it for a older model stove thinking it would work in the epa approved stove and it did not.

The resplit wood worked like a charm, then when I built up the coals the bigger splits worked better.

zap

zapny said:
corey21 said:
BeGreen said:

corey21 last year I resplit our wood because I split it for a older model stove thinking it would work in the epa approved stove and it did not.

The resplit wood worked like a charm, then when I built up the coals the bigger splits worked better.

zap
I think that could be the problem im not getting enough coals built up. And i think im not putting in enough wood for it to burn hot like it should. Does this sound right?

corey21 said:
zapny said:
corey21 said:
BeGreen said:

zap
I think that could be the problem im not getting enough coals built up. And i think im not putting in enough wood for it to burn hot like it should. Does this sound right?

Quite simply, yep.

pen

It could be, I reload with the stove top temp about 350 degrees this year. When I start our fire we go with small splits then when it gets going we add bigger splits.

zap

pen said:
corey21 said:
zapny said:
corey21 said:
BeGreen said:

zap

Quite simply, yep.

pen
So i need to load more wood in there then just 3 splits. oh Pen i saw your videos on youtube should try and fill it up like you do.

for comparison, it certainly can't hurt.

It's all part of the learning process.

I'm just glad you found the creosote now before you tried experimenting.

pen

pen said:
for comparison, it certainly can't hurt.

It's all part of the learning process.

I'm just glad you found the creosote now before you tried experimenting.

pen
Me to it could had been dangerous doing that with the creosote problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.