bad year for drying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple man

Burning Hunk
so far in in the catskills we have a week of nice weather and 2 weeks of rain i hope i have enough dry wood fore next year how about you

We've been up and down here. After last year's record rain fall, don't think this year will be near as bad. We seem to be in a hot and dry for a week, cool and rainy for a week, then hot and dry for a week pattern. One the bright side often windy which will help.

This has been the hottest and driest spring I can remember.

Warm and breezy, with low humidity so far. I've got next Winter covered with some year and a half stacked wood, and a coupIe weeks ago I stacked about half a cord of Red Maple which will probably be dry by Fall.

It looks like you're stealing all the rain from the midwest. As the other Hoosiers said, it's dry as a bone here. My lawn burned-off in May!

I'm with you, Maple Man. It's been really wet here the past few weeks in the central mountains. I sure hope it dries out some, but not really bad. I left the top cover on the wood I had planned on using last winter, I'm glad I did cause it may turn out to be another cool, damp summer. I hope not.

Colder than the norm, not allot of rain though. That usually comes after mid August.
The spruce is drying good but the birch was cut right after the leaves were full on so it's still pretty wet & heavy.
Today's 70° day didn't happen, cool windy & cloudy.

This is the best year I have had since I bought my stove. Which is why I am three years ahead, I hope things get better for you. Do what you can to get ahead and then you won't have to worry about the weather.

Geez as much as I rather have the cool weather, I hope it is not another rainy summer, the last one we had promoted crazy shroom growth on my stacks.

glad you all have good drying weather i guess it's jest in the north east coverd the tops of my wood stacks all 16 cords fore the next 2 years i have got a scrounge at my grandfathers house about 2 cords of black locast :)

so far in in the catskills we have a week of nice weather and 2 weeks of rain i hope i have enough dry wood fore next year how about you
Up here it's been a much better year for seasoning your firewood than last spring. This will be our first year with White Pine & Hemlock for shoulder season wood, at the end of June I'll take a m/m reading.

zap

Very dry here. If we don't get rain soon we will be in a drought if were not allready. The farmers will be hurting if they dont have insurance if it dont rain before to long. My lawn is a nice brown color. I've only mowed 1 time in the last month.

Poor drying conditions here too. Lots of rain and temps ranging from mid 40's to upper 50's. Not only is it bad for drying, but I'm still burning up my dry stuff. June 10th and I have a fire going right now.

Very wet here . . . but I'm not worried.

A) We still have several months to go before the Fall.

B) The wood outside that is drying will not be burned until 2014-2015 . . . a little rain won't hurt things in the long run.

I don't have anywhere to cut (yet) so I had 3 cords delivered the day before we had the biggest rainfall event on record for early June. Almost 8" of rain in 3 days, my wife still doesn't get why I was so hell bent to stack the 3 cords in two days after work, she seems to think it will magically dry out...:rolleyes:

A nice mix here. We've been getting about a week of hot & dry, broken up by 2 day monsoons, followed by pleasant cooler dry air. I like it :)

Still dry as a popcorn fart here. had a few sprinkles today but not even a tenth of an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.