Bags sure add up when it gets cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Well, broke down and did the weekly cleaning today, instead of tomorrow, 'cuz it was sunny today, calling for cloudy tomorrow, maybe big snow, maybe not. So, anywho, took a glance at the bag counter, up to 65 already. Growl, grumble, pull the caps on the cleanouts, do the whole big deal. Burnin' some old pretty now, gotta say. Did get out on the tailgate in the sun long enough for a libation and a cigar in the sun, though, so the day didn't totally suck. How my day went.

Just finished my first ton,did a real good cleaning pulled motors cleaned them ran brush through vent pulled cleanout then used the leafblower.Now sitting at the computer reading hearth.com drinking a cold one.

Just finished 58 bags. Goes fast with the wind chill in the minus numbers.
JB

BTU said:
jbmaine said:
JB

How long is this weather going to last 6-7 more months?..... :cheese:

Luckily in early March it starts to mellow out for me. Bet you would be happier if we heated all year long. :lol:

Start making those flavored chips for my pellet grill. I burn them all summer long. :cheese:

BTU said:
jbmaine said:
JB

I don't know about where you folks actually live but the saying here in Maine is there are two seasons Winter and the Fourth of July. So the correct answer would be 12 months less one day.

On bag #153 so far...................Think I'll be looking @ a wood furnace come spring. This pellet thing is far from cost efficent $$$-wise.

Now I don't feel so bad, bag # 87 went in today, of course I am heating my hot water and my whole house, and I replaced my bathroom heater with a manual controlled baseboard for all that.

I'm at about 1.3 tons right now... did a full weekly cleaning today plus sucked out the ash with the leafblower... the stove looks real happy right now.

The downside is my mother-in-law came back from FL. today for a two week stay...

BTU said:
jbmaine said:
JB

I figure another 3 months or so. I'll usually be out fishing in April. It might still be cold out but I'll want to go fishing so bad I'll convince myself it's warmer out than it really is.
JB

krooser said:
The downside is my mother-in-law came back from FL. today for a two week stay...

hehehe, Because its been so cold here in CT my inlaws have decided to stay in Ocala FL till spring. Even though I don't like it cold, At least there is one positive because of it!

BTU said:
...or was that just wishful thinking on my part.....????

Must have been a dream, BTU.....I heard spring was coming in about 2 months. :)

I've been cranking through the bags as well since the cold snap. I actually ran out overnight a couple of times because I didn't anticipate going through as much as I had in the hopper. Still I think I'm doing ok so far.. I've gone through 34...

My insert is a supplement to my propane furnace. The insert is heating the upstairs (1200 sq ft.) I started late November and I'm up to only 6 bags! My house is insulated with Anderson windows and is only 15 years old. :)

I thought I was going to win the "who used the least" contest until I saw the last post. I'm up to nearly 25 used. I only have to heat 1100 sq ft. Tiny little house.

2 am friday morning I loaded the hopper on my boiler, 1 pm saturday it was down four bags! IT IS COLD OUT!

dont even keep track keep the barn full hold about 12 ton get low buy more never tought of counting

jtakeman said:
krooser said:

hehehe, Because its been so cold here in CT my inlaws have decided to stay in Ocala FL till spring. Even though I don't like it cold, At least there is one positive because of it!
Shhhh! I hope your wife doesn't read this forum.
I've got relatives in Ocala, FL. Maybe it would a good time to pay them a visit? Also a sister-in-law in Dallas-Ft Worth area and a stepdaughter (and her husband) in the US Army at Ft Hood. Texas would be a good place to visit this time of year maybe?

I've gone thru 45bags so far. Can't beat the heat of a wood burning appliance! That's why we bought the stove,to use it! We don't go out to much any more since we had the baby. We call her a baby but she is six already.

little_hawk_59 said:
dont even keep track keep the barn full hold about 12 ton get low buy more never tought of counting

Biggest reason I track it is I try to give it a fairly major cleaning every ton or so, vac fans, brush vent.

jtakeman said:
krooser said:

lucky you Jay...mine came in thurs from myrtle beach, already moanin and groanin about the cold and snow, gone after holiday!

little_hawk_59 said:

wow 12 ton! what are you heating?

caledoniacars said:
little_hawk_59 said:

wow 12 ton! what are you heating?

I keep plenty in the garage simply because once the snow, cold, and any liquid precipitation hits it is a royal pain to get some vehicles into and out of the yard.

My new neighbor has already discovered that little detail. I had to give him some salt and sand mix yesterday evening something about rear wheel drive light pick'em up trucks and ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.