1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Baking cookies

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by weatherguy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I decided to test the pallet bins of cookies Ive collected and even the oak I split was under 20%, some of its been seasoning one year some two. Most of the time when I scrounge wood from people that had trees cut in their yard the rounds are 18-20 inches plus so I end up having to trim them, I didnt want to waste 3-4 inches of good wood so I threw them in some bins I made.
    They're a pain to fit in the stove so some I cut in half or quarters, its like putting a puzzle together to fit as many as you can in the box but they burn hot and long.

IMG_7389.JPG IMG_7388.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Good fuel there. Many folks wouldn't waste the time, but in the end, it adds up and is well worth saving after taking the extra saw cut anyway.

pen
    weatherguy and albert1029 like this.
  3. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    I cut up a Black Gum like that because It was a nightmare to split. It dried out and burned great. Now I allways cut Gum Trees like that.
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I have a bunch of splits that are too long and need to be trimmed. I'll get 24 hours out of a load on mild days, 12+ on colder days. Wouldn't think of throwing that away. Sometimes I give some to my sister-in-law for their little outdoor fireplace thingy they have in town.
    Backwoods Savage and weatherguy like this.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I used to leave the chunks in the woods . . . then at the insistence of my wife I started keeping them rather than letting them rot. They make for nice shoulder season fires when you don't have to pack the stove to the gills, season fast . . . and most important of all . . . they prove my wife was right in not wasting the wood as it was just BTUs I was leaving behind.
    milleo, DianeB and weatherguy like this.
  6. blwncrewchief

blwncrewchief Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern, IN
    Burn cookies all the time right along with the chunks and other stuff. I probably burn 3-6 weeks of shoulder season every year on that kind of stuff. Heck if I have to make the effort to cut it, it is going to get fed to the stove. The only stuff I don't burn is brush under 1-1.5".
    weatherguy likes this.
  7. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    I have to toss mine in the dumpster. One of the downfalls of urban living is you just don't have the space. Happy burning
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Daytime when somebody is home is a good time to burn those cookies and uglies.
    cptoneleg likes this.