balancing valve ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryD

Oct 28, 2007
Central CT
I think we may have a major oops!!!

We have been firing our excell 2200 for a few weeks now. Certainly a learning curve, but a real blast. I have learned how to get it to gasify pretty quickly now. Any how, I was looking at the system (admiring!!) and the thought occurred to me "do I have a balancing valve?".. I had a friend that is in the oil serrvice business install the boiler, so I kinda left it up to him. So I am assuming the valve should be just before the first termovar valve. Is this correct? What is the downside if I don't have one? the boiler seems to be working well. Getting up to temp and heating the 922 gal tank to 165* pretty easily.

What is the downside, if any? Should I install one?

Thanks again for all of those who are helping folks like me getting through the learning process

LarryD

You can use the isolation valve on the Thermovar. Not the best way but works.

What is the down side to using the isolation valve on the thermovar? I am assuming what you are talking about are those little tabs on the fittings to either side of the valve?

What does the balancing valve do?

LarryD

I am told that it is hard on the thermal unit due to turbulence so close to the element. It is how mine is setup and I see no ill effects in the short run. I will be changing my Thermovar for a 4 way valve soon anyway. 3 way valves with a single circulator just do not work well.

Larry I put a 1 1/4 bal valve in about 8" before the termovar valve. I have it closed half way per Travis up at Tarm. It seems to help move the heat around.
I got my tank upto 161 this morning at 7:00 before I left for work, had 2/3 load of wood. Just talked to the wife and it was 162 at 1:00 and the fire was out. I'll see what it is when I get home. Give me a call and we can compare notes.

Greg H

I don't seem to be having a problem getting heat into the tank. I will say this that it takes a lot longer as the temps in the tank get around 160*. I would ay for our 922 gals it is about 1*/hour. About how long did it take to get your tank to that temp? How big is your tank?

How is yours running? Aren't you glad you didn't look at mine!! You would have been minus this valve!!!

I am interested in what a balancing valves does and what I am missing out on!

LarryD

Status
Not open for further replies.