Bar Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
I have a Husquvarna 357XP saw. Love it. It has a 20" bar on it. I predominatly use it for bucking firewood, nothing much larger in dia than 15" typically. Thinking about getting a 16" bar and chain for it. 20" seems to be a waste. Curious to know if anyone has gone to a shorter bar what the performance is, noticable? I would expect that the sw to be alittle faster? Not tht it isnt fast enough already but time is money!

FYI 16" bar or 60" bar chain speed is still the same it will cut at the same speed .

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I have a Husquvarna 357XP saw. Love it. It has a 20" bar on it. I predominatly use it for bucking firewood, nothing much larger in dia than 15" typically. Thinking about getting a 16" bar and chain for it. 20" seems to be a waste. Curious to know if anyone has gone to a shorter bar what the performance is, noticable? I would expect that the sw to be alittle faster? Not tht it isnt fast enough already but time is money!

I have the 16,18(2) and 20 inch bars, the 18 inch bar is used the most with the 20 inch bar used for the bigger trees. I'm going to put one 18 inch bar on the Stihl 390 plus run the other 18 inch bar on the 310 for the logs I'm bucking up.

I here the storm is going to stay south of us again.

Zap

yes, I am glad too, I am getting alot of my wood done early since I can access it with my ATV

Zapny Are you running all 3/8 chain on your stihls ?

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yes, I am glad too, I am getting alot of my wood done early since I can access it with my ATV

I plan to take a 4 day weekend (Friday-Monday) so I should get the wood I have bucked up and even take a run back into the woods and cut up some softwood (Basswood & Popple) for the shoulder season (2010-2011).

I have a couple of areas I never worked since we bought the land, I need to open up the road that has some small Basswood across so I can get the Rhino through. The good thing is there is an old road that they used when it was logged off years back for a truck that runs up to an area that has some beech and hard maple.

Zap

I have a Stihl 360 pro. I started with an 18" bar went to a 20" bar and now changed to a 16" bar and like that the best. Better balance and a little lighter. I have not missed the extra length.
Doug

Thats actually kind of a funny deal . I have the 360 and the 361 and the 360 you are correct is better balanced with the 16' bar yet the 361 seems to be balanced best with the 20 inch bar ......go figure .
If you want to have some fun with that 360 , I run a 16 bar .325 chain and a 9 tooth rim sprocket . I under cut the rakers , This thing will bury my 460 any day of the week , I use it just for bucking .

webie said:
Zapny Are you running all 3/8 chain on your stihls ?

Yes on the 3/8.

zap

Hi -

It will be handier and take less time ot sharpen. You do pick up a wee bit of performance due to the 20% reduction in bar friction. I'm guessing you will like it.

ATB,
Mike

Funny some people think it is handier to use a 20 inch bar than a 16 because there is less bending over. I would be tempted to just keep the 20 and you would not need different chains and bars. That said I do still have a husqvarna with a 16 inch that I do like because it is light and convienent. My Stihl 390 is heavier, but certainly does not tire me out. I am amazed how long it will run on a tank of gas, I am usually done cutting a whole tree before it runs out.

I have a Husqvarna 353 with an 18" bar on it - seems just right for me. Other saw is an old Poulan with a 16" bar - never liked it much...

I stuck with the 16" bar on my 290. Figured it would cut better since it was a smaller saw. My dad keeps telling me that I should run a 20" bar since I'm tall (6'2"), but I've never really noticed it I guess. I've yet to cut a tree over 32" where I've needed to go get a different saw/bar.

webie said:
If you want to have some fun with that 360 , I run a 16 bar .325 chain and a 9 tooth rim sprocket . I under cut the rakers , This thing will bury my 460 any day of the week , I use it just for bucking .

A smaller saw should out run a lager saw in small wood... The big saws never get into their "power band".. I bet if you ran the 16" bar on both saws buried in some 20" plus hardwood you would see the 460 out perform the 360....

webie said:
FYI 16" bar or 60" bar chain speed is still the same it will cut at the same speed .

there more to it than than. you put a 60in. on that saw veres a 16in. bar in small wood the 16in. will get through much quickier!

southbound said:
webie said:

A smaller saw should out run a lager saw in small wood... The big saws never get into their "power band".. I bet if you ran the 16" bar on both saws buried in some 20" plus hardwood you would see the 460 out perform the 360....

+1 but it doesn't matter what wood it is the 460 will smoke a 360 or 361 in any situation,You must have something wrong with your 460.

The only thing I've learned over time about bar length is that the shorter the better as long as its just sufficient to get the job done. 95% of the cuts I make with my saw are horizontal - meaning that the wood is laying on the ground. I can stand on one side and I can stand on the other side if I have to. Almost nothing I cut is much over 24" in diameter, which means that almost everything I cut could be done with a 12" bar. Of course I use longer bars than that, but I just said it to make a point.

Why would I pay money for bar and chain that just sticks out past the end of what I'm actually cutting? Why sharpen more chain at the end of the day? Why pay more for the bars and chains in the first place? Why add the additional resistance of bar for chain to be drug around to the engine's load - when a shorter bar and chain will do and let the engine's power cut wood, not spin excess chain?

Nope, I keep 'em short. I use a 16" bar on my little 026 and an a slightly longer 18" bar on the larger 361. Back in the tool box we have a long bar and chain for those special occasions when its needed, but the rest of the time its back to the short bars. They will cut faster, they are less expensive, and they are easier on the saw, so its short bars for me.

Oh, they don't look as cool. Maybe that means something to you, not much to me.

I agree, I am pickign up a 16" bar and chain for my firewood bucking on Friday.. will test it out this weekend compared to my 20"

I like all my saw to have interchangeable chains...Cuts down on file sizes and what goes where type stuff...20" handles everything we have around here so all my saws have yup you guessed it 20" bars...So knowing I will be running 20" B&C combos I make sure any saw I buy will handle it with no problems.... I think it is a preference type thing just do what you like...The only time I will make a negative comment on would be if someone is running a B&C that is just to big...Like a 36" bar on my MS290;)...............

never know unless I try!

dont know. goign to walk into my local saw shop, tell them that I have a 357XP and I want a 16" bar and chain for it

Not being smart but it will help if you know what you have in it now so you don't end up needing a new rim...

Should say 3/8 or .325 on the bar you have now...

True, that is what I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.