Bar Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
southbound said:
Not being smart but it will help if you know what you have in it now so you don't end up needing a new rim...

Should say 3/8 or .325 on the bar you have now...

if its 3/8 you can run either..but I would think its 3/8 being a pro saw 56cc.

Yes it is 3/8 I know for sure

yes, I learned my lesson well on that. Bought a chan at a TSC, they only sold the low kickback chains...thing sucked. went to local shop, they dont even sell those, got the regular one.

I think it is funny if you go to Lowes and look in the book of chains they show all the different types of chains they make..Then when you go look to pull one off the self all they have are safety chains.....

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yes, I learned my lesson well on that. Bought a chan at a TSC, they only sold the low kickback chains...thing sucked. went to local shop, they dont even sell those, got the regular one.

You can take a file and make it a not so safety chain...

I have the same saw and ran into the same situation.

If you're cutting treelength or logs off a stacked pile a 20" bar is too long. I was constantly getting into the log behind the one I was sawing which slowed me down. I could cut just about as fast with my little 16" 345 as the 357XP. Not exactly a happy camper after dropping $650 for a new 357XP.

The next year I put a 16" bar with a chisel chain on the 357XP. I am a one person operation so I saw, then clear away the sticks, saw some more, clear away, etc. I keep track of my time and in 2008 it took me 22 hours to saw a truckload. Last year, 2009, it took me 10 hours.

Go buy a 16" bar, throw a chisel chain on that bad boy, and you'll be one happy chainsaw operator. Keep it sharp and tight and you'll be amazed how fast you can work.

-Maniac

southbound said:
Must be a big truck?????

I don't know, I haven't measured it. LOL

10 cord per load. I also sort as I go into two piles, one that needs to be split and one that doesn't.

thanks for the update ManiacPD, that is exactly what I am going to do.

I know that a lot of you will think I'm crazy but I got a deal on some 36in bars and I picked them up. Picked up some chain and sold one. Still have two to go and put one on my 360. I haven't used it much but it sure has come in handy. The 360 isn't overly big but if you keep the chain sharp and don't push it it will beat cutting from both sides all day. I don't get into those big wolf trees often but I'm sure glad I have this. These didn't cost me any more than a 20in bar and chain. You also don't have to worry about kick back. It's so nose heavy you are glad when you are done but you do get done sooner. Other wise I use either a 16 or 20 depending on what I cutting.
leaddog

Interesting..I have never had to cut from both sides yet

Interesting..I have never had to cut from both sides yet

I do all the time dont see any issue from cutting down both sides. I would probally do it even with a 36in. bar.Darn sure I wouldnt want a 36 in. bar on my 361, And yes lead dog your crazy!

do you use 16" there smokinjay? I am just gonna buy a 16" and test it out for myself, thats the only way I will know in my own mind..

do you use 16" there smokinjay? I am just gonna buy a 16" and test it out for myself, thats the only way I will know in my own mind..

yes I love the 16in. bar most of the time I will be running a 20in. on the 361 and a 28 in on the 460 but at times on the right trees I run 16in. on the 361 and a 20 in on the 460 those are some smokin fast cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.