BAREFOOTS OR SOMERSETS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoop

Jan 3, 2010
hudson valley ny
well i got my quote from barefoot today $230 a ton delivered and the somersets are $227. Do you guys think the barefoots are that much better than somersets that i should get them or should i stick with the somersets that i know burn well in my lopi?

I would try the Barefoot before you commit to bulk. They are a top notch pellet, they just didn't burn well in my stove.

They do real well in my Rika Integra. 2.5 tons in the garage, 3 more coming. They gave me the same output temp as Okies, but not as dusty.
As mentioned, you may want to burn a little bit before hand.

hoop said:
well i got my quote from barefoot today $230 a ton delivered and the somersets are $227. Do you guys think the barefoots are that much better than somersets that i should get them or should i stick with the somersets that i know burn well in my lopi?

Why not buy a split order of both? You'll have the somersets that you know work well in your stove, and will also have the opportunity to burn the barefoots, which by all accounts, are a great pellet.

Hey, even if you didn't like the BF (which I doubt), I'm sure there would be people VERY willing to take them off your hands for what you paid for them( not mentioning any names..... :cheese: )

Can you say where you're getting them for $230 in the Hudson Valley?

Hoop, Go with what you know. There will be no doubt's.

During the burn season try some Barefoots and any other brand you might do the full load deal on. Do your testing before you need to do the dealing. My experiance with these 2 brands gives Barefoot the heat, But Somersets get the cleaner burn. Both brands did very well and are in the tops of whats out there for hardwood pellets.

Hoop,

We also bought a truckload direct from Somerset. What price did they quote you FOB Somerset?

I wish the mill was closer, freight to Vermont is very costly.

I was asked by Sandy at Somerset pellets to remove the quote that she gave me, apparently some dealers on this forum had issues with it. To the dealers, first, Somerset pellets are not sold in my area, second, the costs per ton to ship to Vermont was over $100 per ton, needless to say I didn't purchase them. Actually, posting the cost per ton FOB pellet mill, add the costs for shipping, it justifies the cost per ton at a dealer or maybe it doesn't, depending on the trucking fees to the dealer location. I do apologize to Sandy in a open forum for any problems that were created by the quote that I posted.

Both great pellets - however the Somersets burn cleaner - less Ash!

Hoop,

What was the price breakdown? How much for the pellets, and how much for the delivery? I am in SW CT so the delivery $ should be similar.

I tried calling barefoot numerous ties but never got a answer, finally after i emailed them they mailed me back sayin $230 a ton to my house in ny. Somersets were only $136 dollars a ton with the freight being $2000 from kentucy comingin at $227 per ton delivered, it seems to me barefoot either is asking alot per ton or their freight is way too expensive being that they are alot closer than somerset, i must say sandy at somerset is very nice and helpfull, if newp doesnt come through for me i might be forking out 5k for somersets, then i too will be a pellet pig lol

Hoop,

Tried some Barefoots in my Lopi Leyden last season.

Nice clean pellet with very good heat output, but the build up on the glass was greater than with the Okanagans I tried.

Went with Okanagans for that reason, but if I had experimented more with combustion air I may have been happier.

I would suggest the advice given of go with what you know is good and try a few bags of Barefoots this season.

Anyway, it is nice to have two excellent choices.

Ranger

I was asked by Sandy at Somerset pellets to remove the quote that she gave me, apparently some dealers on this forum had issues with it. To the dealers, first, Somerset pellets are not sold in my area, second, the costs per ton to ship to Vermont was over $100 per ton, needless to say I didn’t purchase them. Actually, posting the cost per ton FOB pellet mill, add the costs for shipping, it justifies the cost per ton at a dealer or maybe it doesn’t, depending on the trucking fees to the dealer location. I do apologize to Sandy in a open forum for any problems that were created by the quote that I posted.

Well, I just bought a Ton of Barefoots (at $245 they're not cheap, but burn great) but then found Hamers (at $237) so I had to buy T #2. Wifey thinks I'm crazy to do this now (90deg out). We'll see when she's nice and warm this winter. Pics for your enjoyment.

--Aspiring Pig

Attachments

• PICT0166_sm.jpg
    PICT0166_sm.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 268
  • PICT0167_sm.jpg
    PICT0167_sm.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 287
Oh and by the way HOOP, I got the Barefoots at Tri-County Coal and Pellet in Carmel, NY.

epehubb, Your wife may think you're crazy, but the the dog looks happy enough. And come winter, when the stove is cranking out the nice BTU's with those good quality pellets, I think she may change her tune.

Oh, BTW, did you build those racks just for the pellets? If so, they are NICE!! Some of the nicest pellet storage I've seen. :)

epehubb,

Not only do you have nice storage shelves, but the bags are placed so NEATLY!!

I am impressed.

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.