1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Base for Pellet Stove

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by nin28, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nin28

nin28 New Member

Loc:
    Westchester, NY
    We're looking to buy a pellet stove pretty soon and I have hardwood floors. I was wondering about what type of base to put under it. Can I buy something pre-fab? Is there something I can put down that pretty easy? Not so concerned about appearance. Thanks for any advice.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bostonbaked

bostonbaked Member

Loc:
    south shore
    You can buy a hearth pad (do a search here) and you will see some great home built pads. It's easy to do with cement backer board or plywood covered with 12 " tiles.
  3. nin28

nin28 New Member

Loc:
    Westchester, NY
    Ok, I picked up the plywood and cement board and have gone to work. It's going to be pretty basic. I have leftover tiles from a foyer we just redid, so I'm using those. I have everything cut up, now just have to lay the tiles. Just have to pick up some molding for around the edges. Thanks for the help.
  4. wellsme

wellsme Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    If you are placing the pad on a wood/tile floor you may want to stick some of those
    "Magic Sliders" on the bottom of the plywood and measure the width of the moulding accordingly.
    It makes sliding the pad very easy if you need to get to the back of the stove without scratching
    the tile.
    Best move I made.
    Brian
  5. nin28

nin28 New Member

Loc:
    Westchester, NY
    You know, when I attached the cement board to the plywood, I had tiny nubs from the screws sticking out the plywood. I was thinking of putting some sort of felt underneath, but those sliders might do the trick. Of course I would completely cover the felt with the hearth pad. Thanks for the idea Brian. Did you get them at Home Depot?
  6. wellsme

wellsme Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I had the same problem with the screws. I used a dremel tool to grind them off.
    HD, Lowe, and many hardware chains carry those "sliders". They are not cheap,
    but work very well. Use enough to spread out the weight of the stove and protect the floor. I think I used about
    fifteen or so to do my 4 X 3 pad.
    I also liquid nailed a couple of 2 X 4's cut to fit, to the bottom of the stove and used that stick on felt to protect my slate
    if I should need to move the stove only.
    Brian
    http://picasaweb.google.com/briangkeaveney/20080921Stove?authkey=PLu7aT9_v1A#5248823101394450290
  7. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Walmart has the sliders, for pretty cheap. Thats where I got mine.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.