Basement Insert Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AaronMColeman

Aug 22, 2018
Wyoming
I have a Blaze King Princess Insert on the main level that heats 1300sq ft main level and 800sq ft loft level. Does a great job no matter how cold it is.

The basement has a piece of junk old (can't see a name or brand on it) insert that can only fit about 3 logs. Puts off a ton of heat for couple of hours then it's dead. Because it blazes through wood, I use electric to keep the basement warmer.

Any suggestions for decent priced insert that would need to heat about 1000 sq ft? I love the BK, but would like to find something less expensive for the smaller space, and it's a secondary living area so I don't need the absolute best of the best. Thanks!

Start off with inspecting the flue and making sure you can get a 6" liner through it, and then measuring the fireplace opening.

Tough to pick something without a fireplace size!

Start off with inspecting the flue and making sure you can get a 6" liner through it, and then measuring the fireplace opening.

Tough to pick something without a fireplace size!

I had it inspected. It already has a 6” liner running through the masonry chimney. Probably 30’ long. The smaller old stove is running off of this.