Basement install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam.k

Oct 25, 2016
MA
Hey guys,

I'm going to install a used St. Croix in my basement. The plan is to put it in the corner shown in the picture. It'll be right below the small window but venting through the adjacent rim joist. I'll have to cut a pocket in the ceiling to get to the joist. I plan to use an OAK and 4" Pelletvent Pro pipe (1 inch clearance to combustibles). EVL is fine, as is vent clearance to windows/doors. My questions are:

1. Is the inspector going to care that the stove is right under the window (there is plenty of exhaust clearance)? That below grade window isn't considered a safety egress is it?

2. Is the 1" clearance a sticking point if I do actually approach that? I'll have a proper thimble of course.

3. Is the inspector going to care that I'm taking a big chunk out of the rim joist? I'm aware of the code regarding holes in regular joists, but rim joists don't seem to be mentioned. The rim joist has no tension on it so it's not like it's going to fail, but...

Of course these are best answered by the inspector, but I figure I'd start here where there's a lot of knowledgeable people. Thanks!

5234f91d2ed456fb8d9327f189963785.jpg

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Window is not big enough for egress They have to be 5.7 Sq ft net clear opening with a minimum width of 20" works out to 20"x41" on one side since it is a slider.

Reactions: bags and rich2500
The 1" clearance is non-negotiable as it is a minimum. No sure on the rim joist. Is there enough clearance on elevation to core through the concrete to install the venting as another option?

Yeah, there is. The more I think about it, the more I think I should bite the bullet and core the foundation. Better clearances all around.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I did a basement install at my place 5 years ago and cored through the cinderblock foundation wall. The side of the house that the stove vents out of has like 4.5 courses of exposed cinder block. It was really easy. I rented a SDS hammer drill and a 4" OD core bit from home depot for the minimum rental. I think it was like $35 all told to get a vent hole installed in the wall of my finished lower level.

photo_zps329e94fc.jpg

Window is too small and too high for egress. As for the rim joist it is a local inspector's call but he could be a jerk and want to see some blocking. I personally do not see an issue with it at all but that's me. I was a building inspector here in the mid 1990's. It might be worth giving them a call and you should be able to get an answer over the phone in a couple of minutes.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.