Basic Fireview question--

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Does the combustor suffer any damage if engaged too soon?

Yes, if you have wet wood or cat is not up to temp you could get clogging or maybe thermo shock which can cause cracking and eventually crumbling and failure.

I agree with Todd. If up to temperature on the flue then there is no problem but I usually wait 10 minutes anyway to be sure. If my memory is right Terry, you do not have a gauge on your flue so why chance it? Just wait the 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I wait longer than that even with dry wood. Ours might not be as dry as yours but it is much drier than most folks have. We still don't take chances. Why replace the cat. before its time?

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree with Todd. If up to temperature on the flue then there is no problem but I usually wait 10 minutes anyway to be sure. If my memory is right Terry, you do not have a gauge on your flue so why chance it? Just wait the 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I wait longer than that even with dry wood. Ours might not be as dry as yours but it is much drier than most folks have. We still don't take chances. Why replace the cat. before its time?

Would the temp gauge give more accurate readings on the flue, and, if so, where is best? The one I got from WS is magnetic after all. BTW, are there better external temperature gauges to be had and where can one get them?

Terry, I would highly recommend getting another gauge so you can have both readings. As for where to get them, I tried several but never found one to be as accurate as the ones that Woodstock sells.

The nice thing about having both temperature readings is knowing both the stove and flue temperatures, especially if you reload with a big coal bed. Then you might engage sooner because you will find the flue temperature up to or over 500. Woodstock says you can just go by the 500 on the flue but I still do not like engaging the cat if the stove top is not at or above 250.

Actually, that would be 500 in the flue. 500 external would be a 1000 internal which is too high to engage the cat as you will get some thermal shock.

Check that Wendell. This is what Woodstock likes to recommend!

I did. That is what they told me to do. As long as you aren't sucking your flame straight through the bypass and have a good fire in front, a 500 °F internal flue temp means a 500 °F firebox. That being said, I like to wait until 600 to have a little cushion.

How about a cat probe? There is a place for the Fireview in the back right above the UL plate, but it's hard to read it in the back of the stove unless you hang a small mirror back there. This is the best way to know what's going on right next to the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.