1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Basswood Question

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Todd95, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Todd95

Todd95 New Member

Im new to wood burning. I recently got a good deal of basswood.... about 18 18" rounds of it. I wasteimg my time splitting all this ( by hand) storing/seasoning it? From some of what I have been able to gather its pretty undesirable in the pecking order of wood. Any advice appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Similar density / BTU value to pine, i.e. a bit better than half the heat value per cord of white oak. Probably dries out fairly quickly. Might be good for brief fires in shoulder seasons, but burn up too fast in colder weather, requiring constant reloading of the stove.
  3. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    I'd take it. It's free, and already cut into rounds. Since you are splitting by hand, the only cost to you is excess fat on your body you'll burn splitting it :)
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Hopefully when you say a "good deal" of basswood you mean " a lot" of basswood and not "the-price-was-right-on-what-I-paid" for the basswood . . . assuming you mean you have a lot of basswood.

Definitely not the best wood . . . but keep it . . . it's very good for kindling and the shoulder season . . . just don't burn it in middle of January and expect the fire to last all night long.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I wouldn't go out of my way for basswood, but like Shane said above it's already cut into rounds, so I say go for it. Good shoulder season wood, not the most pleasant smell when burning but free is free.....
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It will burn and you can also make some great kindling from bass wood. Split it, stack it and use it in last spring or early fall and it will work out nicely for you.
  7. Auzzie Gumtree

Auzzie Gumtree Feeling the Heat

If its free wood process it - once you feel you are far enough in front then be a little selective in choosing your 'free' wood. Where i live there is always another scrounge just around the corner. I use a spreadsheet i made with all the GSM ( (lb/ft3) of all the firewood i could find anything about. I use this as a guide what it doesn't tell you though is how easy the wood is to split.
  8. Todd95

Todd95 New Member

Thanks to all the above for the replies. It was all free so Ill process it and use it as recommended
  9. husky345 vermont resolute

husky345 vermont resolute Burning Hunk

Loc:
    london, ontario
    well u cant really complain with free.
  10. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    It carves nice too!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  11. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Odd timing for this post. I'm drinking a bottle of Tilia Malbec right now. Tilia is the genus for Basswood.[​IMG]