Basswood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsHAM

Burning Hunk
May 28, 2015
WV
First year with an EPA stove (englander nc30) and occasionally running into coaling issues, been burning alot of maple hard and soft lately. However i have found a new love for what was once junk or garage stove wood, basswood ! Works great in my stove to burn down the coals a bit to pack it up for the next load. Only complaint i have is the smell it gives off !

Never tried basswood but I use pine to use as a burn down with a lot of coals. I burn a lot of soft maple and I grab as much as I can get my hands on. Just cut 14 loads of soft maple out of 2 trees and did not touch the trunk.

I use basswood from time to time if that's what needs to managed on the property. I let it season for a year in rounds before I split it, then season another year after its split. I also peel the bark off which helps it season more consistently and condense a little. It makes great starter wood and coal bed building.

It does stink, worst smell of any wood out there. I've milled some into lumber, carvers & scroll saw people love it. The smell never goes away, even after dry.

Great for carving ducks. I guess it's around in this area although I've never burned it or noticed it in the woods.

When i get coaled up, it's usually because my wood is not perfectly dry. I open my air all the way and carefully rake it forward; keep doing that and it throws a lot of heat and burns your coals down.

Status
Not open for further replies.