Bats Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When we purchased our 1890's farmhouse several years back, we inherited a large family of bats that live behind the vinyl siding. Somehow we missed the signs of bat droppings against the siding (home inspector missed it too!). We probably have several hundred that live in siding. Once my wife realized it, she of course told me I needed to get rid of them. After some research about laws concerning removal, we got quotes to have them removed and it started around $2,000. Over time, we have just learned to live with them as they are not actually in the house, just behind the siding. One of the things I expected when we moved out in the country was to have constantly be bothered by the mosquitoes & flies as there are a lot of cattle around us. We have been pleasantly surprised at how few issues we have with the biting bugs and I attribute it to the bats and other birds which we feed year round.

Reactions: Wildflush
Wife has a snake phobia and we also have a pond and stream so we have, Eastern Milk snake, Garters and black racers. Have not seen anything else yet.
I’ve never had snake phobia, and neither do our children. We let them go about their business, although I do remove the rattlesnakes. Our dog won’t leave snakes alone, though, so we try not to alert her to their presence. She’s very careful with them, but when she’s done with them, they are dead (she hasn’t tried that on a rattler, that I know of).
I don’t blame anyone for having snake phobia, though. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I’ve never had snake phobia, and neither do our children. We let them go about their business, although I do remove the rattlesnakes. Our dog won’t leave snakes alone, though, so we try not to alert her to their presence. She’s very careful with them, but when she’s done with them, they are dead (she hasn’t tried that on a rattler, that I know of).
I don’t blame anyone for having snake phobia, though. That’s nothing to be ashamed of.
Our daughter is the opposite. She goes to an agricultural high school and loves it. Works with reptiles and large animals everyday. She sends me pics of her holding a ball python. My wife would flip if she saw that. Son takes after my wife. Daughter is like me loves the outdoors. Fishing, gardening, archery, learning to hunt etc.

Reactions: all night moe
So i went to check if the young bat was still there. I don't even know if he is young. Just assumed since he was smaller than the other two bats. Maybe he is a different type. So I slowly lifted the piece of wood he was under to see if he was still there. Oh Yes he was there all right. He opened his mouth and started hissing real loud. I shrieked and ran as fast as I could into the house. It scared the heck out of me. Our neighbors are not real close but pretty sure they heard me. I abadoned trying to get the wood off that rack and went and got wood from other racks that are behind our garage. I was real hesitant lifting the cover off for fear there may be bats under there too. Just lifted one end and didn't see any.

So i went to check if the young bat was still there. I don't even know if he is young. Just assumed since he was smaller than the other two bats. Maybe he is a different type. So I slowly lifted the piece of wood he was under to see if he was still there. Oh Yes he was there all right. He opened his mouth and started hissing real loud. I shrieked and ran as fast as I could into the house. It scared the heck out of me. Our neighbors are not real close but pretty sure they heard me. I abadoned trying to get the wood off that rack and went and got wood from other racks that are behind our garage. I was real hesitant lifting the cover off for fear there may be bats under there too. Just lifted one end and didn't see any.
Make sure he is not stuck to your back coat 😂

Bats rule! easy solution, get your wood supply at night while they are active. or, if hibernating, separate them and there wood and put them in a protective place. they don't have lots of extra body weight for hibernating, so don't disturb them. also, research and make some calls to your states wildlife rehabbers. they can give you suggestions.

Bats are way cool and extremely beneficial. Also many species are threatened or endangered.

We have a healthy bat population that lives in the pines along the property line beside our house. They really appreciate the pole mounted dusk to dawn light in the yard drawing in the bugs…it’s like a free buffet for them!

Snakes…black snakes get one warning relocation, second time caught around the house they get the same treatment as the vipers! That being said we have 3 barn cats that eat a lot of the same things that the snakes typically come in after so no food=no snakes other than the odd one passing through.