1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Battery weed whacker

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Backwoods Savage, May 25, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Okay. I got the Ryobi 40 volt. Put it together and went out to do just a little bit to test it. Wow! It surprised me right away. What is this about them being not as strong as a 2 cycle engine? That is pure crap as I found out right away. I'll give a better review after using it more and also after the wife uses it but my first opinion is that this thing will be great. Only drawback so far is that it does seem a tad heavier as it bothered my one arm a bit. But I have a harness for our big weed whacker so may give that a try. If that works it will really be sweet.

So my opening remark on this is that it will be great. I think too many have heard things or even used the lower voltage trimmers and I can see where they would be weak. This thing seemed to cut really easy even at low speed. I did also cut a bunch of fiddlehead ferns and they proved to be no problem at all. I cut some heavier stuff too. So far, so good.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Glad ya got one ya like.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    My wife uses one of the Worx electric trimmers. One advantage it and possibly other electric models has is that line feeds automatically without user intervention. This is possible because of the constant RPM of the electric drive. A definite advantage it seems to me.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The way I understand it is whenever you open the throttle the string is advanced and the way to cut down on the amount of line used is to not let the string stop completely. And yes, there is a string cut-off so if it is advanced too far, like others, it will cut the string. Not a good use of the string at all unless one likes changing it often.

I did not get a chance to use it today nor did the wife. Hopefully this weekend it will get some use.
  5. wishlist

wishlist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Corunna, Michigan
    No need for Judy to use it. I think it will fit your hands better Dennis. Strawberries are just coming in!