Battle of the stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
Lopi Leyden or Jotul Oslo
Leyden has larger firebox, but which would you go for?
heating about 1800 sq ft, adequate insulation, tight windows
gonna burn 24/7 with red oak that is between 12-18% moisture content

Based on reading here, the Oslo hands down. The Leyden is a "down draft" type stove, and those can be a bit fussier.

Oslo!

Leyden is a downdraft stove, likes to burn long and hot, and needs a good bed of coals to engage secondary combustion. May be more stove than you need at times. Oslo will be easier to learn, easier to run at somewhat lower temps, and will likely require less maintenance (Leyden may need afterburner cleaning every few years, perhaps a new part eventually).

That oak is going to make either stove very happy. Just guessing here, but if you prefer the stove room to be in the 70-80F range, go with the Oslo; if you prefer the 75-85F range, go with the Leyden.

Another vote for the Oslo. I've heard too many problems with most of those down draft stoves.

My totally unbiased vote (see my signature line) is for the Oslo.

Hello there, of the 2 stoves listed, a nice Blue Black Oslo would be perfect. If that oak is really that seasoned, easy long burns are ahead for you- I used an Oslo, it is nice to side load out of the main heat lobe of the stove. Jotuls are well built, well supported and are pleasing to look at. Nothing wrong with the LOPI, its just sec tubes burn easier, trying to make smoke go down to reburn just goes against the grain. You'll love the Jotul.

Helped my neighbor pick a 2yr old Jotul 3cb last yr. I am very impressed how easy it is to run and out performed his old Intrepid by leaps n bounds . If the rest of the Jotuls perform the same I'm sold when its time for me the get a new stove the Oslo or firelight would my pick .

No complaints with my Oslo.. its family now (actually more pleasing to be around than some family members).

I like the look of the Lopi and it gets a lot of good reviews from folks I have talked to . . . but as an Oslo user and an unabashed Oslo lover I would go with this one . . . which is what I did. Easy to use, not much to complain about or maintain . . . and it produces a lot of good heat for a long time.

That's a pretty outrageous installation. Looks like the temple of the Leyden.

Status
Not open for further replies.