Bayou wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody? I'm interested also because I just bought a ton but I'm new to using a pellet stove so I don't know if they are burning good because I have nothing to compare to.

Thanks

Leorousseau said:
Anybody? I'm interested also because I just bought a ton but I'm new to using a pellet stove so I don't know if they are burning good because I have nothing to compare to. Thanks

Not sure how much of a response your going to get, since they just started making this year:

"During 2007 the company embarked on the construction of a 60,000 ton wood pellet mill which is projected to begin operations January of 2008."

I think you may be on your own, but I'm sure everyone here would be interested in how they work for you.

I have used pellets before for my dogs litter and from my experience with pellets they are very dusty compare to LG's and not tightly compressed like other pellets I've seen. All of the other pellets I've seen are nice and tightly compressed with a shiny coating on them. The Bayou pellets are big and crumbly with a lot of dust. I probably won't buy them again. I ordered them months ago for $249/ton and they just came in 2 weeks ago. Live and learn

Ok, after burning the Bayou's from Home Depot I burned a bag of the Green Supremes and man what a difference. The GS burned about 50 degrees hotter on setting number 2 on my P38 and my auger didn't make much noise at all with the GS's. The Bayous were more dusty and powdery than anything. My next ton will be the Green Supremes.

My local grocery store is selling Bayou's by the bag and ton. I always pick up a bag or 2 to try when i come across a new brand. Well, this 1st bag i bought was pretty much sawdust with some pellets mixed in. it was almost comical. very dusty too. I had to double vacuum them. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and try another bag.

We have a Harmon P68- We started burning pellets the beginning of 08. We have tried a few-Energex, Turman, Michigan, Harman Hot One. My husband bought a bag of Bayou to try-will let you know. But no matter what we burn , we do have to say that the Turman burn the best and VERY, VERY little to no ash. AWESOME Pellet so far. (but we haven't tried Barefoot either, which we were told was good.

I just finished off a ton of Bayou pellets I really liked them very little fines and low ash. MUCH better than the Pike pellets I am burning now.

tmh5996 said:
Worst pellets I used so far are the bayou pellets. Ash residue is hard and in clumps.
i just finished a ton . no problems at all but dirty glass very dirty glass. i used worse pellets . now that i finished the ton i wont buy them again unless i get a deal.

I bought a couple bags of them at the Home Depot in North Hampton, NH. Compared to the Lignetics, Okanagans, and Cubex, well, let's just say I was underwhelmed. I only burned one bag but the heat was over 50 degrees cooler than all the others. I even had a clinker!

Jay offered to take the bags I had left but I wouldn't do that to him :)

That's why the advice to test burn a bag or two is so valuable!

Chan

CWR said:
I bought a couple bags of them at the Home Depot in North Hampton, NH. Compared to the Lignetics, Okanagans, and Cubex, well, let's just say I was underwhelmed. I only burned one bag but the heat was over 50 degrees cooler than all the others. I even had a clinker!

Jay offered to take the bags I had left but I wouldn't do that to him :)

That's why the advice to test burn a bag or two is so valuable!

Chan

Chan,

You can always mix them with the good ones. Wait until spring if need you need to. Start at 25% and slowly work up until it gets to low a temp or messy burn. Hate to see pelets go to waste. Even iffy ones bring a tear to my eye! Well all but the Inferno's.

To any member,
Please don't use them as walkway or driveway traction. If you have to dump them give me a shout. My multifueler will smile and eat um up! :)

jay

Great idea Jay. When it warms up (maybe tomorrow) I'll mix some in my treasure chest. I only have a couple bags so it's very doable.

Chan

Status
Not open for further replies.