Bear Cat 27 ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyheater

Minister of Fire

Attachments

• woodsplitter.png
    woodsplitter.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 363
My first impression is kind of lightly built. I could be wrong.

It looks lightly built but that's really only because it's a trunnion mount cylinder without a full length beam.

I like the engine, Subaru EX21 is a great engine for sure. 14 second advertised cycle time isn't bad, especially on a 27 ton machine. I like all the accesories they offer although I'm sure they drive the price up as well. And starting off at $2100 I think better deals can be had. I know my Iron & Oak is available for similar on buyacehardware.com.

http://www.buyacehardware.com/26-ton-log-splitter-robin.html

Subaru EX27 engine, 12 second cycle, clevis mounted cylinder (stronger IMO) on a full length beam. $2075

BearCat has a great reputation for quality equipment, their chippers are second to none, and I'd be interested in a full review if your pal goes this route.

Dave, that SpeeCo/Huskee 28 ton machine is kinda the black sheep of their line. The cycle time is unacceptably slow IMO. IMO with the SpeeCo's, either stick with the 22 ton and pocket the savings or go with the 35 ton and feel the power. Sure wish they would just eliminate the 28 and put that engine/pump on the 22 ton. That would be a real deal for a good splitter.

Dave, that SpeeCo/Huskee 28 ton machine is kinda the black sheep of their line. The cycle time is unacceptably slow IMO. IMO with the SpeeCo's, either stick with the 22 ton and pocket the savings or go with the 35 ton and feel the power. Sure wish they would just eliminate the 28 and put that engine/pump on the 22 ton. That would be a real deal for a good splitter.

Maybe the Huskee brand sold by TS is different than the Speeco. (I ""assumed"" it was the one sold by TS.)

This model : 28 ton, It has a 16 gpm pump - 4-1/2" cylinder & a 12 second cycle time.
http://www.speeco.com/products.php?id=95&id2=511&prod=356

I know when splitting the cradle beam is real nice to center the round & really handy when horizontal splitting so the round don't roll off.
A 28 ton with all the pressure on the cylinder mount on Bearcat & Yard machine is a couple factors I'd consider a "con".
Didn't someone here have the weld fail & oil go everywhere on a troybilt?

I looked at heavy duty built, wedge design & liked the cradle beam.
Engine, pump, valve, hoses & ram "O" rings may need replaced/rebuilt over time, but that's all maintenance in my thinking.
I&O was on my short list, but couldn't get one here with out extra $$ shipping.
For my choices here when I bought, I went 22 ton Speeco.

Now HD & Lowes are about the only source for splitters, Ariens, Swisher, troybilt are the choices now.
I'm always kicking the tires when I see splitters, so far for my choices, I'm pleased with mine when comparing. :)

For two thousand bean pods, I would be looking at a different machine.
Trunnion mount cylinders are my least favorite. The shuttle (shoe) is too short IMHO. And there just simply not enough machine there to be worth $2000.

For that kind of cash, I would be looking at Iron and Oak machines.

Maybe the Huskee brand sold by TS is different than the Speeco. (I ""assumed"" it was the one sold by TS.)

This model : 28 ton, It has a 16 gpm pump - 4-1/2" cylinder & a 12 second cycle time.
http://www.speeco.com/products.php?id=95&id2=511&prod=356

I know when splitting the cradle beam is real nice to center the round & really handy when horizontal splitting so the round don't roll off.
A 28 ton with all the pressure on the cylinder mount on Bearcat & Yard machine is a couple factors I'd consider a "con".
Didn't someone here have the weld fail & oil go everywhere on a troybilt?

I looked at heavy duty built, wedge design & liked the cradle beam.
Engine, pump, valve, hoses & ram "O" rings may need replaced/rebuilt over time, but that's all maintenance in my thinking.
I&O was on my short list, but couldn't get one here with out extra $$ shipping.
For my choices here when I bought, I went 22 ton Speeco.

Now HD & Lowes are about the only source for splitters, Ariens, Swisher, troybilt are the choices now.
I'm always kicking the tires when I see splitters, so far for my choices, I'm pleased with mine when comparing. :)

The Huskee's are indeed Speeco's. Dave that splitter you linked to looks like the TSC 35 ton machine with a slightly smaller cylinder. My I&O 26 ton also has a 16GPM pump, a 4.5" cylinder and lo and behold, a 12 second cycle time. The TSC 28 Ton is a 11 GPM pump hence the abysmal cycle times.

If the price is close, I still like the TSC 22 Ton Huskee machine. Parts for the Briggs engine will be a lot easier to come by than the Champion and I prefer the full length beam vs the short beam/trunnion mount on the Champion.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_357178-87012-92207_4294850981__?productId=3402982&Ntt=CHAMPION&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294850981__s?Ntt=CHAMPION&facetInfo=CHAMPION

If the price is close, I still like the TSC 22 Ton Huskee machine. Parts for the Briggs engine will be a lot easier to come by than the Champion and I prefer the full length beam vs the short beam/trunnion mount on the Champion.

+1
I like the speeco/huskee 22 ton over the champion.
The full length heavy duty cradle beam & cylinder mounting is a good feature. IMO

Be nice to see the champion up close & kick the tires, Lowes here only carries troybilt (mtd or yardmachine makes them now). What was the price in your area?
From the pic & specs, the champion seems ok, just hart to see how strong it's made, welded, etc from the picture.
I'd look real close at the beam/trunnion mount, I'd want it to be strong, lots of stress on the mount when splitting a gnarly round

In the past few years everyone is making/selling log splitters, more different brands out there than chain saws LOL :)
Some are made by the same company with different colors & names though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_357178-87012-92207_4294850981__?productId=3402982&Ntt=CHAMPION&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__4294850981__s?Ntt=CHAMPION&facetInfo=CHAMPION

+1
I like the speeco/huskee 22 ton over the champion.
The full length heavy duty cradle beam & cylinder mounting is a good feature. IMO

Be nice to see the champion up close & kick the tires, Lowes here only carries troybilt (mtd or yardmachine makes them now). What was the price in your area?
From the pic & specs, the champion seems ok, just hart to see how strong it's made, welded, etc from the picture.
I'd look real close at the beam/trunnion mount, I'd want it to be strong, lots of stress on the mount when splitting a gnarly round

In the past few years everyone is making/selling log splitters, more different brands out there than chain saws LOL :)
Some are made by the same company with different colors & names though.

Price isnt the same, I may be too late but I got a bead on a good deal on a new one, much less than retail, if I was paying retail I wouldnt even consider it.

Well I missed out on another one, the Champion was a new splitter for $600, it was a scratch and dent and supposedly was just cosmetic and didnt affect performace, I never got to see it as it was gone in one day, I called as soon as I saw the ad but someone beat me to it.

Scratch & dent log splitter, "That's Funny".
When Sears had recalls on their MTD's I offered them 1/2 price & would sign a wavier, no go.
Don't know how they got rid of them, maybe to the landfill ??

I wonder about the balance of the spliter. Seams like if you dropped a big oak round on it, it going to tip backwards.

I wonder about the balance of the spliter. Seams like if you dropped a big oak round on it, it going to tip backwards.

Most are locked with a pin in the horizontal position. Remove the pin to be able to tip it into the vertical mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.