1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Beauty

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Got Wood, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    With a snow storm fast approaching I wanted to get some exercise so I headed out to my "woodland" with maul in hand and started splitting. The air was crisp and the rounds were splitting easy. The snow started slowly coming and I kept at it. I stopped when the ground started to get a little slippery. Boy, was that fun and peaceful....being out in the fresh air, splitting wood and the snow storm starting to hit. Yea, I like the simple things in life.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Just think of the exhilaration you will get shovelling that snow. For me, all that "get up and go", got up and went. I now get my exhilaration from using my hydraulic splitter and my snow thrower.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    more than one way to getrdone!
  4. Risser09

Risser09 New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like your friends are all four letter words.
    maul, wood & snow
  5. mattinpa

mattinpa New Member

Loc:
    Western Pa
    Ah, your making me jealous! I thought that's how my evening would go, but here in western PA,
    all were getting is rain, and lots of it! I love the serenity of splitting in the woods enjoying the
    fruits of my own hands. Guess it will have to wait, though!
  6. xjnuttier

xjnuttier New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I hear ya bother, peaceful almost like beingout there during a nice fall deer hunt just pure peace and quiet, well except for the splits.. that is what i think it is all about, gettin back and closer to nature, and honestly with my job being of a professional level and being at work all the time behind acomputer, it is a great workout too.....
  7. Summertime

Summertime New Member

Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    I agree with xjnuttier in regards to splitting as a great workout, It's not a bad idea to stretch before doing some heavy duty splitting though as I am still recovering from a pulled chest muscle from last weeks adventure with my maul!!
  8. xjnuttier

xjnuttier New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I am right there with you, I split up a cord and a half wednesday,a nd it is now saturday and still feeling it, and I am in fairly decent physical condition. but like i said maybe a lil soft from the desk job..LOL but totally agree on the stretching before during and after.
  9. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    My dad calls it 'woodchucking' I must admit that I LOVE doing this work. I love running the chainsaw, loading the truck, and the thrill of the ultimate scrounge. It's such hard work, but a reward when you can step back and see what you've created. I've been accumulating 'logs' and am going to take a day to buck up my pile. Then I'll be able to leisurely split when I get an hour or two. Same thing with stacking... It's the only time when I get quiet time. No one wants to be around when I start stacking. Something therapeutic about being alone and taking your time on your stack.
  10. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    LOL
    A therapist would have a lot to say if one watched me stack using a straightedge, chalkline, plumbob, and constant "adjusting". OCD comes to mind.
  11. drdoct

drdoct Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    Not to mention the talking to one's self. "get in there sucker!", "Now that's a nice piece of wood", "Yeah you were a tough one to split, but look at you now!"... I would beg for someone to tell me that they talk to their wood too, but my wood told me it happens all the time ;-P.
  12. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    My wood doesn't talk back to me.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds like you've got it together friend. Enjoy those simple things. I agree totally.
  14. Summertime

Summertime New Member

Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    Thats borderline insane LOL!! At least you enjoy it..
  15. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl New Member

Loc:
    Ontairo
    You know how your wives sometimes go for walks? Well, I go and split wood...good work out indeed, and it's nice to get fresh cold air.
  16. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

And you go knee-draggin' for exhileration?? :grrr:
  17. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl New Member

Loc:
    Ontairo
    Pretty much, just so the boys have some butt to look at while I pass them :lol:
  18. Cedrusdeodara

Cedrusdeodara Member

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Maul and axe??? What are those?? I heard they were relics of an ancient civilization..

I believe the hours of working a chainsaw and lifting wood to the splitter, then stacking once it is dumped is enough. If I had to maul/split manually, I would be the poster boy for oil/gas fired boilers. That.... or I would build my home semi-underground, like a hobbit in the Shire.

Brian
  19. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

ZZR1200 here. . .You Shall Not Pass :coolsmirk:
  20. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl New Member

Loc:
    Ontairo
    Maybe not on a drag race, but on the twisties...I dunno, is that bus even able to turn? ;-P
  21. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

Touche~

Turn? yes . . . . Flick? NO!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.