Not open for further replies.
  1. Got Wood

Got Wood
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2008
    Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    With a snow storm fast approaching I wanted to get some exercise so I headed out to my "woodland" with maul in hand and started splitting. The air was crisp and the rounds were splitting easy. The snow started slowly coming and I kept at it. I stopped when the ground started to get a little slippery. Boy, was that fun and peaceful....being out in the fresh air, splitting wood and the snow storm starting to hit. Yea, I like the simple things in life.

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Just think of the exhilaration you will get shovelling that snow. For me, all that "get up and go", got up and went. I now get my exhilaration from using my hydraulic splitter and my snow thrower.

3. smokinj

smokinj
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    more than one way to getrdone!

4. Risser09

Risser09
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like your friends are all four letter words.
    maul, wood & snow

5. mattinpa

mattinpa
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 25, 2008
    Loc:
    Western Pa
    Ah, your making me jealous! I thought that's how my evening would go, but here in western PA,
    all were getting is rain, and lots of it! I love the serenity of splitting in the woods enjoying the
    fruits of my own hands. Guess it will have to wait, though!

6. xjnuttier

xjnuttier
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 1, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    I hear ya bother, peaceful almost like beingout there during a nice fall deer hunt just pure peace and quiet, well except for the splits.. that is what i think it is all about, gettin back and closer to nature, and honestly with my job being of a professional level and being at work all the time behind acomputer, it is a great workout too.....

7. Summertime

Summertime
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    I agree with xjnuttier in regards to splitting as a great workout, It's not a bad idea to stretch before doing some heavy duty splitting though as I am still recovering from a pulled chest muscle from last weeks adventure with my maul!!

8. xjnuttier

xjnuttier
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 1, 2008
    Loc:
    SE PA
    I am right there with you, I split up a cord and a half wednesday,a nd it is now saturday and still feeling it, and I am in fairly decent physical condition. but like i said maybe a lil soft from the desk job..LOL but totally agree on the stretching before during and after.

9. drdoct

drdoct
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 24, 2008
    Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    My dad calls it 'woodchucking' I must admit that I LOVE doing this work. I love running the chainsaw, loading the truck, and the thrill of the ultimate scrounge. It's such hard work, but a reward when you can step back and see what you've created. I've been accumulating 'logs' and am going to take a day to buck up my pile. Then I'll be able to leisurely split when I get an hour or two. Same thing with stacking... It's the only time when I get quiet time. No one wants to be around when I start stacking. Something therapeutic about being alone and taking your time on your stack.

10. LLigetfa

LLigetfa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    LOL
    A therapist would have a lot to say if one watched me stack using a straightedge, chalkline, plumbob, and constant "adjusting". OCD comes to mind.

11. drdoct

drdoct
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 24, 2008
    Loc:
    Griffin, GA
    Not to mention the talking to one's self. "get in there sucker!", "Now that's a nice piece of wood", "Yeah you were a tough one to split, but look at you now!"... I would beg for someone to tell me that they talk to their wood too, but my wood told me it happens all the time ;-P.

12. LLigetfa

LLigetfa
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    My wood doesn't talk back to me.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2007
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds like you've got it together friend. Enjoy those simple things. I agree totally.

14. Summertime

Summertime
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 3, 2008
    Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    Thats borderline insane LOL!! At least you enjoy it..

15. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Ontairo
    You know how your wives sometimes go for walks? Well, I go and split wood...good work out indeed, and it's nice to get fresh cold air.

16. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs
    Guest 2.
    NULL

And you go knee-draggin' for exhileration?? :grrr:

17. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Ontairo
    Pretty much, just so the boys have some butt to look at while I pass them :lol:

18. Cedrusdeodara

Cedrusdeodara
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 3, 2008
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Maul and axe??? What are those?? I heard they were relics of an ancient civilization..

I believe the hours of working a chainsaw and lifting wood to the splitter, then stacking once it is dumped is enough. If I had to maul/split manually, I would be the poster boy for oil/gas fired boilers. That.... or I would build my home semi-underground, like a hobbit in the Shire.

Brian

19. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs
    Guest 2.
    NULL

ZZR1200 here. . .You Shall Not Pass :coolsmirk:

20. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Ontairo
    Maybe not on a drag race, but on the twisties...I dunno, is that bus even able to turn? ;-P

21. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs
    Guest 2.
    NULL

Touche~

Turn? yes . . . . Flick? NO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.