Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I started to work a new area on Christmas Day, went to take a picture before I winched the beech down and never put the memory card in the camera and the internal memory was full so these pictures are from today. Picture 100 0363 is the small part of the beech bucked up, 100 0364 is the stump after I fell the beech and 100 0365 is what I winched back up the hill. 100 0367 is the beech bucked up.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0363-1.jpg
    100_0363-1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 100_0364-1.jpg
    100_0364-1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 518
  • 100_0367.jpg
    100_0367.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 100_0365-1.jpg
    100_0365-1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 531
Beech is sure funny looking stuff to me, with it's smooth bark that almost looks like skin. I have never seen beech, that I know of, other than in photos.

I split some 24" + rounds today. Heavy even after being bucked for 6 months and splits like a dream.

.Always was taken by the sight of a big stand of mature Beech. The sight of sun shining through a stand of beech with there color of fall is just to cool . And when they fall theres some dam good burning to be had. ;-)

Cedrusdeodara said:
Beech is one of my favorite trees, both living and dried/burning. For me, it seems to be much quicker to season than oak, similar to maple.

I have 2 face cord for this heating season waiting for some colder weather.

zap

Not much Oak in my area, but I find Beech takes substantially longer than Maple. I find its a good overnight wood for a conventional wood stove, it doesnt burn as hot, but burns longer that the maple and birch I normally burn.

quads said:
Beech is sure funny looking stuff to me, with it's smooth bark that almost looks like skin. I have never seen beech, that I know of, other than in photos.

quads, you are not that much further west than us, but it is said that in Michigan you won't find beech west of the Escanaba River. That is generally true but I found plenty of beech just north of Menominee. However, I don't recall ever seeing beech west of US 41.

You are right about the looks. Sort of like elephant hide.

i just split a face cord of beech today myself ,love that intense heat and long burns

Only this past summer I split some Beech. I had burned some a few nights ago. To my surprise, this Beech is great to burn. For me, it gets real hot and it last too. When I did a moisture test on it, it was still pretty high. I can't wait till next year to use up the Beech.

One of the best woods to have..

We have a good number of stands of beech up here in the north. Great to burn . . . pretty cool to see too, most of the trees where I cut have the claw marks of bears that climb them for feeding-at least here-where there's beech-theres bears!

We have a good number of stands of beech up here in the north. Great to burn . . . pretty cool to see too, most of the trees where I cut have the claw marks of bears that climb them for feeding-at least here-where there’s beech-theres bears!
Thats good to know, next time im in the eastern section of the Up ill have to check out a few of the beech stands i have noticed.

StackedLumber said:
We have a good number of stands of beech up here in the north. Great to burn . . . pretty cool to see too, most of the trees where I cut have the claw marks of bears that climb them for feeding-at least here-where there's beech-theres bears!

Silly chickens 2!

If you carve a silly phrase in beech bark as a teen it will still be there 50 years later. Possibly embarrisingly readable.

Status
Not open for further replies.