Before and after.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Bucked most of this April 2014. Finally turned it into firewood. Locust, Pig Nut Hickory and couple types of Oak.Glad I got it out of the way but there's a bunch more that fell since so more excuses to run the saw :).

Attachments

• DSCF7895.JPG
    DSCF7895.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF7898.JPG
    DSCF7898.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF7902.JPG
    DSCF7902.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 294
  • DSCF7903.JPG
    DSCF7903.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 279
  • split2.JPG
    split2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 284
  • split3.JPG
    split3.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 293
  • split4.JPG
    split4.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 279
Looks good. Nice woods there, I'd like that to be my backyard too!

That's right on the edge of my property. Behind me is non buildable land owned by the town. It was neglected when I bought and I was steadily cleaning up and taking a lot of downed wood out at the same time. We just had another micro-burst or some dang thing so I'm kinda back to square one. At least there's more downed wood :).

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Seems like you had a close call on inventory one winter, but it looks like you're on the good side now. Hickory is the one wood I haven't found a suitable way to hot rod. Time is the only cure for that stuff. And way to go on shopping at home!! ;)

Seems like you had a close call on inventory one winter, but it looks like you're on the good side now. Hickory is the one wood I haven't found a suitable way to hot rod. Time is the only cure for that stuff. And way to go on shopping at home!! ;)
Yeah getting ahead took time. No way to rush getting the wood dry and my conditions have put me on the longer side of drying times. Get a lot of oak and other dense hardwoods and it's been taking full 3 yrs.
That hickory is some tough stuff. I can see why they use it for handles and stuff. How's that 435 treating you?

After I got the carb adjustment tool, it runs like a scalded dog! I also have the file set and keep it touched up every few tanks of gas. 99% of the time the 16" bar is plenty, but I was at an ash score the other day and saw one downed tree I thought I'd take a swing at. Turns out I didn't see the knot on the bottom that clearly put it out the running. I'll be back there next week and take a few wedges and knock that round off.

This season has been a whole lot of effort and I'm really close to a final report card for a pre-winter status update. I've had one big score and lots of little ones.

Oh, one of these posts alerted me to turning the saw's bar over every now and then. I've never done that, and I could sure feel the ridge that's built up on the bottom side. I'll get a new bar and start over. I think I'm way past filing...

Gave mine mine a tweak (touch leaner) and ran 3 tanks through it yesterday. I'm about due to flip the bar too.

Status updates require pics SC, show us what you got!

Nice. Having that protected land in your backyard is clutch. That friggin micro burst last month was insane! We lost power for seven hours. That storm tore through the north shore. The lightning was like nothing I'd seen before.

Nice. Having that protected land in your backyard is clutch. That friggin micro burst last month was insane! We lost power for seven hours. That storm tore through the north shore. The lightning was like nothing I'd seen before.
Crazy storm! Lightning looked like the finale of a Grucci fireworks show. Out of power 3 days, we were ground zero. Major damage in my area.

Crazy storm! Lightning looked like the finale of a Grucci fireworks show. Out of power 3 days, we were ground zero. Major damage in my area.
3 days! You're in stonybrook right? Your area got hit hard. I got some oak and pine from that storm.

3 days! You're in stonybrook right? Your area got hit hard. I got some oak and pine from that storm.
That's me. More damage that the last two hurricanes combined. There's still plenty here. PM if you want.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Thanks! I'll let you know. I have a vacancy for one more cord on my little plot of land.

Bucked most of this April 2014. Finally turned it into firewood. Locust, Pig Nut Hickory and couple types of Oak.Glad I got it out of the way but there's a bunch more that fell since so more excuses to run the saw :).
Good job,looks good.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.