Believer in wood burners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
To explain this I will use a timeline:

Jan 2011-
$580 electric bill in our new to us house
Begin using open fireplace in earnest to heat and wife still freezing

Feb 2011-
$450 electric bill, CRAP, wife still freezing
Friend recommends a wood stove and HEARTH.com for great info; She researched for over 2 years and recommends Woodstock (she never bought)

April 2011-
End of burning season- 3 cords burned in 3 months

October 2011-
start burning in the Fireview

Jan 2012-
Been burning for 3.5 months and haven't even gone through a full cord, no electric bill over $180, and a very warm and happy family!!

Thanks Hearth.com and Woodstock.

fv

That's great! Has the electric company came and checked your meter yet? ;-P

That is great fv. It sounds as if our wood burned is about the same but I think we are just about to start on our second cord. Now I wonder if we'll go through more than 2 cord this winter? Wow! I never thought I'd see that day.

Dairyman said:
That's great! Has the electric company came and checked your meter yet? ;-P

Not yet, but there's still hope!

Dennis, it will be interesting to see.

fv

Warm and happy wife! That is a very important part of your story. In all the posts in the Hearth Forums, I have yet to find a really negative discussion of the Woodstock fireview. There is a recent lengthy thread here about a new Woodstock Progress install that mentions a few things that the Fireview lacks in features and performance, but I think in general Fireview owners are very satisfied. I am still building my stacks while saving my $$$$$ for a stove purchase. As I watch the outside temperature drop to near zero tonight and hear my gas furnace going on so often, I'll put another blanket on the bed waiting for the day when I just need to "Put another log on the Fireview".
Tim

I love stories like this. Sounds like that stove will pay for itself in no time at all.

Awesome-and nice choice of stove.

love the story

Out of curiosity, what would your electric bill been before the stove, but without the fireplace sucking all the heat out of the house through the chimney?

-SF

Thats a big WIN right there. nice work.

SlyFerret said:
Out of curiosity, what would your electric bill been before the stove, but without the fireplace sucking all the heat out of the house through the chimney?

-SF

Basing it on last March and April when the weather was similar to what we are having now it would be around $300, give or take a little, for each of the last four months. That would be a $480 savings, gross estimate, thus far!!!

fv

Plus your prolly warmer!

Great story. Congrats...

ITs the best feeling ever, I hate paying the utlity companys

Status
Not open for further replies.