Bench grinders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got one for free yesterday! WOOOO HOOOO grinder, drill press and around a gross of new files! OH and a very old saw need some pic's.

precaud said:
This thing looks pretty interesting too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Grizzly-T10097-8-Grinder-Sharpener-NEW-w-warranty-/280593422557

Several companies are selling identical units with their own paint scheme on it. Users reviews for it on the net seem to be pretty good.

Looks like a poor man's Tormek to me.

Tormek-T7

We sold a lot of Tormeks when I worked at Woodcraft. $400 back then, just the basic machine and grinding attachment. It goes on from there, and you can really blow your lungs on this system if you have no sense of restraint. We had one set up in the classroom, with all the bells and whistles, but I was never a big fan. Too slow at 90 RPM. It's a long chore if you are removing a big chip and re-contouring the edge of an axe. Still, it's almost impossible to ruin a tool by grinding it too hot and destroying the temper.

The Grizzly unit runs a shade faster at 120 RPM, but only has an 8" x 1 1/2" wheel (much cheaper and less desirable than the 10" x 2" wheel on the Tormek), so the surface speed will be about the same. The Tormek comes with several accessories, has a 7-year warranty, but best of all, it ships with a super nice Gransfors hatchet ($120) included at no extra charge.

Battenkiller said:
Looks like a poor man's Tormek to me.
Yup. Given that it's a tool I'd use maybe a half dozen times a year, a poor man's version is quite appropriate.

It's a long chore if you are removing a big chip and re-contouring the edge of an axe.
Yeah, but it wasn't designed for that. It's basically a sharpener.

The Grizzly unit runs a shade faster at 120 RPM, but only has an 8" x 1 1/2" wheel (much cheaper and less desirable than the 10" x 2" wheel on the Tormek), so the surface speed will be about the same. The Tormek comes with several accessories, has a 7-year warranty, but best of all, it ships with a super nice Gransfors hatchet ($120) included at no extra charge.
There is absolutely no way I can justify a Tormek for myself. The Grizzly, I can make reasons for.

precaud said:
There is absolutely no way I can justify a Tormek for myself. The Grizzly, I can make reasons for.

Even when they were "only" $400, and even when I was getting a substantial employee discount, and even though I am a professional woodworker, I could never justify owning one myself. At $600, I have to shake my head in disbelief. They were something that the armchair enthusiasts that made up the bulk of our customer base put on their Christmas list, and sometimes they found one under the tree. I doubt it solved many of their woodworking problems, any more than buying a 120cc saw solves anyone's tree felling problems. I taught basic hand tool use at Woodcraft, and when the course was over the students would buy just about ever tool I used during the classes... except for sharpening stones. Even after days of having it drummed into their heads how important edge maintenance was, they still expected that $150 Lie-Nielson block plane to sharpen itself.

I think the Grizzly grinder would be fine if you are only sharpening. Just remember that hollow ground edges are not the most durable, and that frequent trips back to the grinder eat up precious tool steel in a hurry. I much prefer flat stones and good technique to a grinder and hone system, which I only need when I f*** up and drop a chisel on the cement floor... a pretty rare event these days. But at $79, I just might free up some bench space for a poor man's Tormek to sit on.

Battenkiller said:
But at $79, I just might free up some bench space for a poor man's Tormek to sit on.

You're a kick, Batten!

I also prefer to use flat tools to sharpen, but sometimes I just want to restore an edge quickly. I decided against the Grizzly for now and just bought the tiny Sears sharpener:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921174000P?prdNo=1
Price with all discounts (on sale, Cyber Monday, coupon) was $31. Given my limited uses, it should be fine.

I'm still thinking about the grinder question. Edge speed at 3400rpm on a 6" wheel is only 20% faster than 1725rpm on an 8" wheel...

precaud said:
I'm still thinking about the grinder question. Edge speed at 3400rpm on a 6" wheel is only 20% faster than 1725rpm on an 8" wheel...

Perimeter speed on a 6" wheel running at 3450 is about 5400 fps, while the outside of an 8" wheel running at 1725 is moving at only about 3600 fps. 6" is 50% faster.

Still, not all that bad. Which is why I recommended that nice old 6" Delta. :roll: ;-)

I got the craftsman sharpener yesterday and spent a couple hours with it on chisels, knives, and a hatchet. I like it. The tool rests are large enough to be useful, the slow speed (120rpm) and 120 grit wheel are easy to work with, and the thing takes most of the variables out of the sharpening equation. I haven't tried it on scissors yet, but in a minute or two it put a nice sharp symmetrical cutting edge on my old hatchet. It should work fine on my Fiskars hatchets/axes when they need it. For $31 it's a keeper and will get a lot of use.

The 4.5" x 1.5" grinding wheel is not a standard size, I looked yesterday and couldn't find an aftermarket replacement. So I may order a replacement from sears parts ($11) along with a set of belts and maybe the gears (probably nylon) just to have on hand.

The porter cable grinder should arrive later this week, I'll report back on that unit then.

Status
Not open for further replies.