Benefit of cast iron??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
I know steel stoves chip and you have to use touch. Up paint after time. Is this the case with cast iron? Is there any benefit to cast iron over steel besides the look

I own both types. The "cast iron" Quad Castile is actually a cast iron casing over a steel box that's the working stove. The St. Croix and Enviro I have are "Steel" Stoves. It's true that the steel exterior stoves have finish issues after some years of use, depending on how anal you are about cleaning them. The Quad exterior holds up better and will touch up with stove black, if needed.

The heat out put is not even close, though. The Quad is a smaller stove than my other two and the cast iron doesn't heat up that much anyway. IMHO, I believe that the CFM output and the BTU output should be the focus of your research into what is the best features of a stove. Dealer reputation, manufacturer reputation, and service should be the deal makers of buying a stove, when you find the stove size you need.

It looks like the same cast over steel configuration as my Quad. It's a much larger stove than the Castile and it's much higher price may suggest that it's a better stove. I am not making that as a statement of fact, though. I am sure there are a gang of Harman owners waiting to pounce on this thread so that they can tell you how good the Harmans are. I will leave that to them. Every stove has it's good and bad points and Harman owners seem to get more than they're fair share of attention on this forum.

I just wondered if it was just aesthetically pleasing. But probably long term cast iron is better

if you want a darn pretty beautiful workhorse and have some extra $ - get the xxv

if you want the best bang for your buck go with a p series

just my zwei pfennig

ya I know it's pretty but besides that I am gaining another 7000 btu's and more convection heat right? Still not sure how the heating feeling will be with the swap

Status
Not open for further replies.