Benefit of insulating firebox walls or wood insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepWarmInWinter

Hearth Supporter
Sep 22, 2010
CT
Hi,
My apology if this question has been answered already on this forum. I am searching it but couldn't find this topic.
We are going to buy 2" Roxul Rockboard 60 board to insulate block off plates (top and damper area).
Is there any benefit to insulate the firebox walls or insert? If yes, what are recommended materials (rockboard, ceramic wool wrap, etc)? As always, thanks for all advice on this site.

Thanks CleanBernin and GoGreen,
Our fireplace is on an outside wall, so insulating of firebox walls will help. I have reviewed discussions on this topic that was very helpful. We will buy Roxul mineral wool batts or boards from http://www.atsacoustics.com/cat--Fiberglass-and-Mineral-Wool-Batts-and-Boards--106.html site. We will cover it with heavy duty aluminum foil or steel sheet. We have not yet decided on which materials to use (batts/board, aluminum foil/steel sheet) and if insulate all walls versus only the back wall? What is your opinion?

I wouldn't worry about covering it with metal. Just attach the Roxul board with tapcons and large washers. This is a captive space, nothing is going to be banging up against the roxul once the insert is in place.

What insert is going to be installed?

Sounds good, the blowers are in the front and will stay cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.