Benefits of OAK and Auger plate cover, 10 days in!!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
OAK installed and homemade auger plate (covering 1/2 of the exposed opening) installed. Because of the lack of cold, I can't say that I feel any change in drafty floors or uneven room temps or whatever, that some people have mentioned. As far as the OAK and the auger cover plate together as a whole, I have noticed a huge differance. First, No more high heat temp reset fails...and I am running only VT (hot) pellets. The most noticable change is that dramatic drop off in ash in the M55's ash tray. Prior to the changes, I had to run in standard or multi fuel mode in order to push x amount of ash and even partially and unburned pellets out of the burn pot because otherwise the temp would get too hot. Now, I am back to the premium mode and getting much less ash than past times when I was able to run in the premium setting! I am running in Feed 1 and heat 3 and still playing around with the combustion air. This spring when I pull the stove out for its spring cleaning I am going to make a new cover (or use the real cover plate and close off probably 1/2 of the remaining opening. Currently, slightly less pellets are dropping but I think I would like to see feed 2 or 3 be the more normal setting for cold weather, withe the ability to drop the feed rate down (as well as the fan) in the milder weather that we are having now. I am a very happy camper now! Love the stove, the HEAT, and appreciate all the folks who help contribute to the board. Bill

Nice when a Fix works out eh?

It'll take a bit to dial it all in. Then the pellets will change.

Sorta like a game of golf.
Driver and irons start working and your putter goes to hell. :)

---Nailer---

oldmountvernon said:
I'm subscribing to this thread to hear how much of a difference ( if any ) you think the oak has made during the next cold snap

Hopefully you'll be waiting til next season! %-P

Hey old mount vernon....another reason I got the oak was in the event of a power failure ( with a roaring flame) the oak supposedly helps to eliminate any smoke backing up/seeping into the house. I do have the UPS which should give me 45 minutes plus of back-up to allow for a full shutdown if needed. But in the event of a REALLY COLD WINDY night with multiple power failures and a not fully charged UPS, I don't want any smoke coming into the house and upsetting the wife. She loves the stove and I don't want anything messing her up! Bill

j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
I'm subscribing to this thread to hear how much of a difference ( if any ) you think the oak has made during the next cold snap

Hopefully you'll be waiting til next season! %-P

X 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.