Best brush/rods for cleaning FPX36 fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrow

Jan 13, 2012
Virginia
Hi, I have decided to clean my FPX36 fireplace this year. I had a local sweep clean it 2 years ago for $200 and I watched him closely do his job. Looked like something I could do myself just as well if not better. He swept it from the inside because my chimney is so high (like almost 30'). He had a bag that covered the face of the fireplace and sealed the fire pit area from the house.with a two holes in it. One was for sliding the rod through and the other was a port for the vacuum cleaner to suck out all the dust that came out of the chimney (preventing it from getting inside the house). Once the bag was set up, he then inserted a poly brush up the flue and ran it the length of the chimney (adding sections of rod periodically as he traversed the flue). Didn't seem like he really put that much effort into it. There was a tricky part in the beginning to get the brush to penetrate the flue opening. The design of the fireplace throat/flue appeared to pose a little challenge to him getting it started. He struggled for a while trying to get it to go inside the fireplace opening, but once it was in,it went smoothly after that.

I've decided to sweep my own chimney this year and spend the $200 I would normally give to the sweep for his service on the equipment I need to properly sweep my own this year and all years into the future. First, I plan on building my own fireplace cover/bag system. Should be easy enough with a scrap piece of plywood and some spare cloth lying around. I have a shop vac that I will vent outside and use that collect dust as it is produced. But I also want to buy decent quality brush and rod set that works best for my fireplace/flue. So I'm hoping some of the more knowledgeable people can help me decide which brand and type to buy. The manufacturer instructions for the 8 inch inside dia DuraVent double walled flue says to use a poly brush. So I know I need poly instead of steel brush. But I don't know anything about the various brands or quality of either brushes or rods. I also don't know what level of flexibility I need for the rods. The struggle the guy had going through the flue opening makes me a little concerned about the rod flexibility, although pretty sure he just used a standard type rod (my chimney is completely straight all the way up other than the little angle at the point of entry from the flue).

Anyway, just want to get the right equipment the first time around. Hopefully equipment that will last for years to come and do the job right every time. Any experienced advice appreciated, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.