Best (Burn Indicator)Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

What Kind of thermometer do you guys use? I have been using a magnetic on single wall pipe as well as a stove top magnetic for 5 years. it works well I think but after my near house fire I am wondering if there is a better option that is more accurate.

Thanks all
Pete

Attachments

• Rutland.jpg
    Rutland.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 912
Been using a magnetic Condar on my stove. Bought an IR this week to confirm temps and found it was ~50 degrees off to the lower side. Not too worried about 50 degrees.

If you are concerned about how the magnetics are reading, just get an IR-people here recommended it to me and it has given me peace of mind.

Nope, hand held. And yes, IR is infrared.

Thanks guys I am going to buy one of those, talk about a cheap way to prevent a house fire!

Pete

Pete1983 said:
Thanks guys I am going to buy one of those, talk about a cheap way to prevent a house fire!

Pete

So how did the house almost catch fire?

pen

Pen, Pete had a thread just about a week or 2 ago telling the tale. You can probably find it easier than I can give you a link.

Pete, I wish I'd have shown you the IR gun I have. It wasn't too expensive and we like it. Use it very little but it can be used for more than checking the stove. Like checking for leaks in the house. On the thermometers, I've not had good luck with the Rutland but like the condar instead.

I've got a Rutland and another brand, i can't remember right now and i'm too lazy to walk downstairs and check but i also have an IR thermometer. i use the thermometers on the stovepipe and haven't really had any problems with them. There is a difference of about 30 degrees with the rutland reading higher, but i don't worry about that either cause it errors on a good side.
cass

Condar stove thermo . . . Condar probe style thermo for the flue . . . IR thermo in case I want to shoot anywhere else on the stove, hearth or surrounding area.

Last night I upgraded to a condor prob & a vermont castings surface thermo. Thanks all for the help I think these will be much better than what I was using.
Pete

Just be aware that the new model Condar probe thermometers appear to be reading too high, especially at the higher end of the scale. The error at 1000F can be as bad as 20% off.

BeGreen said:
Just be aware that the new model Condar probe thermometers appear to be reading too high, especially at the higher end of the scale. The error at 1000F can be as bad as 20% off.

I hadn't heard this. Do tell. Have seen readings as high as 1950 F with mine. Cat glows at 1700 F, maybe less.

As an engineer I tend to get really geeky when it comes to data. I have a Condar ChimGard and a Condar Medallion right next to each other. They both read the same temperatures, the only thing that is different is the "too hot, too cool, just right" regions on the face of the gauge.

I also have a Condar FlueGard probe type flue thermometer. I find this to be very valuable because I can have 1100F flue temps and 350 stove temps (and climbiing) if I'm burning lots of small pieces of wood, this tells me to turn down the stove to let the secondarys engage.

I would only buy Condar if I had the choice, they are made in the USA and have great customer service. All the Rutland thermometers I see are made in China which is a deal breaker for me.

I also have a Fluke IR gun that I use to confirm temps.

BurnIt13 said:
As an engineer I tend to get really geeky when it comes to data. I have a Condar ChimGard and a Condar Medallion right next to each other. They both read the same temperatures, the only thing that is different is the "too hot, too cool, just right" regions on the face of the gauge.

I also have a Condar FlueGard probe type flue thermometer. I find this to be very valuable because I can have 1100F flue temps and 350 stove temps (and climbiing) if I'm burning lots of small pieces of wood, this tells me to turn down the stove to let the secondarys engage.

I would only buy Condar if I had the choice, they are made in the USA and have great customer service. All the Rutland thermometers I see are made in China which is a deal breaker for me.

I also have a Fluke IR gun that I use to confirm temps.

I'm an engineer as well, so the more measurements the better. Especially with a finicky cat stove. My wife is not yet convinced she can burn wood in our newer stove, but then again, neither am I. Condar stovetop thermometer, IR gun, and a Condar cat probe are all part of the process here.

Status
Not open for further replies.