1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Best Chain for my Husky 350?

Post in 'The Gear' started by BobUrban, Feb 1, 2012.

1. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I have a husky 350 and would like to upgrade the chain. 18" bar and the chains I have been using are Husky w 72 Drive link, .325" pitch, .050" gauge. I have been replacing the chain with the same, factory chains and do my best to keep them sharp with a husky file kit. I would like something more agressive if aailable but have no clue what I am looking for regarding this. I do know that there are more agressive chains made but not sure if any are available for this saw?

- if you own this saw or know a lot more than me about saws(won't take a lot to do that) please let me know what you are cutting with or recommend

Thank you

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  3. BobUrban

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Thistle - thanks. Can you tell me what I am looking for to get more agression from a chain? Which one is best? Are Oregon chains better than the Husky chains I am using? This may just be an opinion thing but "in your opinion" who makes the best chains?
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  5. BobUrban

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Thanks Thistle - I will go to my saw shop and ask for a "Full Chisel" chain(s)

For the record I appreciate the "be safe" tip. I have deep respect for the saw, all chainsaws, actually and wear all the gear to protect myself whenever I cut. I get called, "safety man" a lot because of my obsession with being careful but hey, it is my life.

Just want to get more out of the saw.

Bob Urban
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Yup. Take your saw in,they can tell the width of bar groove & will get you set up.
  7. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    make sure to stress "non safety" " full chisel
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    RSC Stilhl Full-Chisel . . . there is a notable difference between this chain and the Husky full chisel (or maybe it was semi chisel) chain I was running . . . heck even my Husqvarna dealer said he still buys the Stihl chains because they seem to work better and hold an edge longer.
  9. black locust

black locust New Member

Loc:
    western ky.
    I have a husky 353 saw which uses the exact chain that you say you have used. I think the husqvarna chain is made by oregon. I feel it is aggressive enough if you keep the chain sharp. These aren't really big saws and keeping a sharp chain is important on maxing out their capability. I find I am able to hand sharpen the husky chain better with the comparable stihl chain. As far as a non safety chain etc. haven't gone there and with my level of need for firewood I am not concerned. The 353 has been a pretty good saw for me also.
  10. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    On a 50cc saw, I like .325 Stihl RSC. It's what I run on my 16" Husqvarns 346XP with a narrow karf (NK) bar.

The saw came with the NK bar and NK chain (Oregon 95VP). If you want very smooth, it's a nice combo.
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Got the same comment from a husqvarna dealer.
    I'm trying the RSC when I can get back out cutting. (at the local Stihl dealer they were $3 cheaper than the LGX at the Oregon dealer)
    Had good luck with the Oregon LGX , a little easier to hand file but a little softer steel.
    FYI: Oregon makes Husqvarna chains.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Yeah Husky chain IS Oregon chain. No difference although I'm not sure of the model number match-ups. Oregon makes the vast majority of bars/chains that come on saws from the OEM. The exception is Stihl, since they are the only manufacturer to make their own bars and chain.

You can go with either full or semi chisel type chain. Full will be a bit quicker cutting but will dull quickly in bark/dirty wood. Semi-chisel will cut longer in-between sharpenings. You want "yellow label" chain for maximum aggression regardless of wether it's full or semi-chisel chain.

+1 on Stihl chain, all chains cut well if kept sharp and the raker height is maintained but some brands definetly keep their edge longer. Stihl chain tends to strech less when new as well. Nice to not be re-adjusting the chain constantly as it's wearing in.