Best firewood scrounge tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsig31r

Jun 27, 2010
VA Beach
As a newbie, I wanted to see how everyone else is getting their free firewood. I know craigslist around here is a great help. Most people around here keep telling me to wait for a huricane to come through. Personally I don't want to see one come through.

I have gotten alot of my wood from friends. Ask around. People with woods or even wooded lots may want a tree or two removed. I don't tackle anything that has any chance of hitting things of value when cut down, which eliminates a lot of potential firewood, but still find lots of wood. Downed wood, storm damage, and the occasional tree that an amateur can safely cut all have added up to lots of firewood for me. Also, don't pass up small scrounges. I've collected several cords of wood by picking up a few pieces here and a few there.

This has worked for me:
* chat with friends and nieghbors, let them know you want wood.
* never say no to an opportunity to get wood
* try and hook up with a tree service

It depends on where your skill set lyes........If you need wood on the ground or can you fell yourself? What size saw or saws you have? Splitter? Trailer? It all really comes down to how much you know and your tools. Once you have both they really do come to you...There is atleast 5 cords of wood on the ground less than 2 miles from my house from things people started and cant finish. Its really nice to have a saw that normal home owner doesnt have and that alone will keep in wood.

Find where your county brush recycle center is. Sit there and put it in the bed of your truck as they unload theirs. Each county has one up here. If you're shy about hurricanes you can always wait for an ice storm...

Matt

Thanks for all the tips. This summer I am going to have to gather enough wood for two winters in case I deploy during the winter. I know that my wife will not have the time to gather during the summer.

bsig31r said:
Thanks for all the tips. This summer I am going to have to gather enough wood for two winters in case I deploy during the winter. I know that my wife will not have the time to gather during the summer.

You are going to be busy for sure!!!!! but, I hope you get to stay home!

This has worked for me.....Next time you have some rounds to split do your splitting near the road where you live and do the splitting after suppertime when neighbors are out walking. I bet at least one will stop and tell you about someone (maybe theriselves) who has free firewood.

bsig31r said:

Thank you for your service. Don't work too hard in the heat. You will get more done if you stay out of the hospital.

Matt

I take my prep radio home from work (firefighter) and if there is a storm, I listen to any area Dept's that go on trees blocking the road. Since I know most all FF's on all the area departments, they cut it for me and load it into the truck/trailer. doesn't get any better/easier than that.

Good luck!

Contact local tree service companies and arborists in your area and let them know you want
firewood.These guys usually have a list of people who want firewood.One way to move up the
list is to offer to take the wood in longer lengths.I will take wood as long as the box in my pickup
which is almost 7 feet.This will save them bucking time and has helped me move up the list.I also
make sure to bring along a dozen gatorades on ice as a little "Thank You."Another thing with tree
service companies is make sure you give them an honest time as to when you can pick up the wood.
Don't tell them "I'll be right over"if that means 3 hours.These guys have customers that they must
answer to as well.I have contacts with 3 different outfits and the same complaint is firewood collectors
not being reliable.The scroungers will tell them that they can be over in an hour and then they get the
excuses 3 hours later:"I have to borrow a truck","I had to stay late at work","I'm trying to line up a
place to store the wood","locusts" whatever.This is why some find it easier to just take it to the dump.

Hope this info helps.If you can get in good with tree service companies;you'll have all the wood you need.

Ditto most of the above.

Friend in the tree biz. Friends that need trees cleared. I live in Appalachia. Wood isn't really hard to get. The Blue Ridge Parkway had the worst tree down situation in years. Lots o' wood. Just get a permit.

Capt said:
I take my prep radio home from work (firefighter) and if there is a storm, I listen to any area Dept's that go on trees blocking the road. Since I know most all FF's on all the area departments, they cut it for me and load it into the truck/trailer. doesn't get any better/easier than that.

Good luck!

.. :coolgrin: Yea, I have my prep here too buddy! (on the same dept as Capt) The race is on to the downed tree! But seriously, for me I was in the same situation just over a year ago and thought I would never find wood. This year, I have to turn it down because of space; but what really helped me out was simply the talk that came from the neighbors as I was putting up all my stacks. What also helps is to find fellow woodburners in your area and share tips, leads, etc. Finally, one last thing that worked for me for a few good loads was to put a Craigslist ad that offered to take firewood or allow some services to drop em in your yard. What I got from that ad was not tree services, but folks calling to get rid of piles they had in their yard! Got a beauty load of cherry from one lady. ;-P

Keep up the scrounging all year...

Capt said:

Good luck!

lol Thats just sweeet!

Status
Not open for further replies.