Best gas stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathyp100

Oct 25, 2007
Arvada, Colorado
Any thoughts on which manufacturers offer the best freestanding gas stoves? Any brands that are clear stand-outs, or on the other end of the spectrum, brands that are to be steered clear of? Brands that have unique and useful features that other manufacturers do not offer? Ideas about what the most important things to look for when shopping for a freestanding gas stove?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jotul tends to have a very nice flame the apperance is going to be one of the most important things to look at most of the better stove company use realtivley equal equitment so i would shop by price and looks you should be fine as long as you find a good dealer.

I went through this a bit and came up with a couple things -

1) vented - direct or B vent, but not 'vent free', at least not if you're going to run it more than an hour at a stretch.
2) thermostatic control - most only have a range of 50% to 100%, so they'll cook you out of the room. And if you really want to use it for heating, you'll want to be able to control it.
3) stainless firebox - it gets nasty in the firebox - acidic, moist, great environment for rust.

Steve

Style does have a lot to do with it. Keep in mind that many of the gas parts (valves, etc.) are standard...made by a couple manufacturers, not by the stove companies. So the companies engineer nice flames, logs, bodies and other such stuff. I would say that most are good - my experience is with Jotul, Avalon and Mendota....among others (I sold these brands in my shop).....and they always did the job well. Regency had some really nice looking Bay units before other makers copied them. These days there are a lot of look alikes.

Look at the warranties, consider a local dealer (if you have a good one). Keith is right about Woodstock...although they don't have local dealers. Then again, they offer to buy your stove back if you don't like it. Not a bad deal......confidence, for certain.

Oh, it;s getting late - I better think about going to bed

Thanks for all the good comments.

I like the looks of a couple of the Jotul models, at least from the pictures on their website. We're going to look at some in a showroom later today. Also like the looks of the Woodstock Soapstone but I'd really like to be able to see one "in person". Do any of you have any experience with the Hearthstone gas stoves? Those are pretty cool looking too.

Steve: We are only looking at direct vent so no worries there. Hadn't really considered thermostatic control but definitely something to think about. With regards to the stainless firebox, any idea which manufacturers/models have this?

Kathy in Colorado

Kath there are two kinds of gas stoves one is called decorative. Basically as described, fire viewing only loosing as much as 50% of heat up the vent.

In my opinion a waste of money might as well get some serious heat from the gas being consumed.

Second type is high efficiency they are EPA efficiency tested and certified. Most are around 80% efficient This way here one gets heat in exchange for the gas consumed

They tend to be more expensive , but deliver heat and not waste it up the vent

Thanks for the advice. We are for sure looking for one that puts out heat and isn't purely decorative. We have a gas insert in our living room fireplace and love it, which is why we're ditching the old non-efficient wood stove in our family room and going for clean, convenient gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.