Best Heat Paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove Brite spray is what we use.
Don't know if Cheapo Depot or Lowe's carries it.
You may hafta find a hearth shop.

I used Weber grill paint on both my stoves and the stacks on my truck. It's been holding up really well.

We have used the brush on type from Lowes, yellow label. works great. Wait till summer when you can leave windows open all day. Only minor odors at first fire in the fall.

Use a sponge brush to minimize brush marks. This paint will get a matte finnish after a few fires, probably wouldn't notice brush marks if you used a regular brush. No overspray issues with this either.

I don't know what Lowe's carries, but I would use a good quality paint like Stove Bright or Thermalux. Just make sure the surface is clean before you repaint. You can use some fine steel wool to lightly clean any loose paint off the surface. Let dry for at least an hour, then build a medium fire and keep anything off the surface such as a tea pot until it cures. Be prepared for it to smoke as it cures and your smoke alarm to go off.

I had better results with the brush on finish. I purchased the rustoleum high heat paint (the one w/ a picture of a gas grill on the front) and I can tell you it hasn't shown any damage and my stove has seen 900 degrees.

I painted mine at the end of last season and the stove sat all summer w/out fire in it. When I fired it this fall expecting it to stink the house up it really wasn't bad at all. I think the 4 months between painting and firing kept the fumes down.

pen

I have used Rustoleum BBQ-Black in the past with success. But I no longer have that stove so I can't say how the paint stood up.

Lowe's sells Imperial brand.
No complaints.

Attachments

• imperial big.jpg
    imperial big.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 523
Tractor Supply had Valspar High-temp paint for woodstoves in a spraycan. I did the stove prior to the season and so far it's holding up fairly well, but cant say it's any better or worse than the last hi-temp paint I got, which I think was just some noname brand from a bigbox store.

I like pen's approach though - paint in the spring and let it sit. I didn't do that but still the fumage wasn't all that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.