Best location for stove?(floor plan attached)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Attached is my floor plan layout. The stove is probably going to be in the family room opposite the fireplace.(marked with the x in the floor plan) I was planning on using an existing flue in the family room but it's in rough shape, it may be cheaper for me to put a class A chimney in another location. If you could pick the ideal location where would it be?

Thanks!

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 531
I think the prevailing wisdom is to put it wherever you spend the most time. You want to enjoy that radiant heat. Your location makes sense if you're in the family room/kitchen/dining room area the most. It's somewhat centrally located, too. If you hang out in the living room more it might make sense to put it there since the stairwell is closer, helping get some heat upstairs. On the other hand, that location might make for a cold kitchen.

I myself would put an insert in that fireplace with a new liner and be done with it. That is just my personal preference though.

Hogwildz said:
I myself would put an insert in that fireplace with a new liner and be done with it. That is just my personal preference though.

I would agree with this if the fireplace was on the outside wall. The living room only has a 48" door opening so not much heat leaves the room when I currently have a fire.

Family room location seems good to me. Is the desired flue pipe independent of the fireplace flue pipe? What size is it? Can you describe it's anticipated problems and condition?

BeGreen said:
Family room location seems good to me. Is the desired flue pipe independent of the fireplace flue pipe? What size is it? Can you describe it's anticipated problems and condition?

Yes it's independent, the house has three flues, one for the furnace, one for the fireplace and one in the family room where a free standing stove was at some point in it's life. We had it inspected and the clay tiles are cracked and some have separation. I think the flue is 7x11 IIRC, inside is more like 6 1/2x10 1/2.

I had one estimate done and it was pretty involved, knocking out all the tiles, opening up the hearth wall to gain access, new liner with insulation. I asked about just dropping down an oval liner with insulation and he didn't want to do it since he felt the draft would suffer with an oval liner. The chimney is 30' tall, I personally think the draft will be just fine. I have another guy coming out tomorrow to give us another estimate so we'll see how that one goes.

I figure at this point if we have an area that would be better for heat distribution now is the time to think about moving it. The way the house is set up I could swap the dining and family room since the house doesn't have an eat in kitchen.

30' of insulated oval liner should really suck. An alternative might be to have a poured in liner?

Seems to me you are on the right track for location. The heat will be where it is most appreciated.

BeGreen said:
30' of insulated oval liner should really suck. An alternative might be to have a poured in liner?

That was my thinking, I guess I'll see what the guy I have coming out tomorrow has to say. If he doesn't say what I want to hear I'll probably man up and do it myself. :) I usually wouldn't pay for this type of thing but I just want it done. With a 4 month old in the house my wife will kill me if I fall off the roof. lol

For reference here's an exterior picture of the chimney from when I was painting last year.

Attachments

• P9040094.JPG
    P9040094.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 282
  • P9040097.JPG
    P9040097.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 267
I saw an intersting set up a few years back at my wifes friends house.
I am not sure where the hallway is opn the second floor of your house....but the friends had a stove in the place where your fireplace is, and then they had this nifty wallfan (I think from Vermont Castings) that they had installed in the top/interior wall of their family room with catherdral ceiling....similar to yours...and the fan pulled the air from the top of the room into the hallway of the second floor bedrooms.
I do not know if this was a no no, as I know that you cannot put vents in floors to bring heat from 1st floor to second, so in this case I would think you would need to check with code to see if allowable in your situation.
It worked well by getting air to the second floor, and let the folks keep the unit where they wanted in the room where they spent the most time.
Moderators - please feel free to delete this post if this is a no no for allowing air to pass through walls versus vents in flooring.
Good luck

I think where you have the X will be a good spot. It's right in the middle of the house and also next to the stairs so you will get good heat upstairs as well.

rdust said:
Hogwildz said:

I would agree with this if the fireplace was on the outside wall. The living room only has a 48" door opening so not much heat leaves the room when I currently have a fire.

You do realize that most fireplaces don't add heat, they remove heat. What little heat they do put out is radiant anyway, meaning line of sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.