Best option for Heatilator HR36. insert? renovate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zareth

Apr 22, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
So I just bought my first home and it has a wood fireplace.
I used to live in Jackson Hole and I miss the comfort of a free standing cast iron wood stove.
I originally started researching fireplace inserts but I did not realize that the insert has to fit in the firebox of the ZC fireplace?

I've got some silly questions but I donno how else to find answers!
Does an insert sit on the bottom of the firebox? That means it won't be flush with my floor right? Would I need to raise the floor there?

Also when installing an insert in here can this upper piece come out as it looks like it is taking up a lot of space and doing nothing but hiding the damper
Those are 1ft tiles if it helps!

For reference I attached a few things.

Screenshot_2015-04-22-20-32-00.png Screenshot_2015-04-22-20-32-00.png 1429753854100-232433167.jpg 1429754258249858019935.jpg 14297543341481826627759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not find anything in the manual for your unit that allows for the installation of an insert in this fireplace. Some heatilator fireplaces allow it so check your manual but unless the manual clearly says you can put an insert in the fire box it would be against code to do so. If it is not in the manual you would need to contact heatilator to get written confirmation from them that it is ok

I could not find anything in the manual for your unit that allows for the installation of an insert in this fireplace. Some heatilator fireplaces allow it so check your manual but unless the manual clearly says you can put an insert in the fire box it would be against code to do so. If it is not in the manual you would need to contact heatilator to get written confirmation from them that it is ok

Okay thanks for that :)

So assuming that's out of the question and I need to pull out the entire fireplace what are my best options if I want a wood stove style look? My current tile surround would come out of course but if it makes a difference the opening dimensions are 38.25 W x 30.25 H

Well you can either open the openin up enough to alow for a wood stove to fit in there and have the proper clearances or you can replace your unit with a high efficiency zeroclearance unit and a new class a chimney.

Another option would be to put a hearth-mounted, rear-vented stove in front of the fireplace and run a liner down the current flue. Here would be an example:
thumb_166.jpg

That will be the least involved option but you will probably need to extend the hearth. Suitable cast-iron models can be found from Jotul, Hearthstone, Quadrafire, and Morso. What stove(s) would be best depends on the size of your home, layout, insulation level, winter temps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.