Best place to drop three cords of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Driveway. Keeps the grass in shape...

But then you want to get it split and OFF the ground and top covered asap...

Where do you want the mess??

Do you like mowing? Three cords I call it three weekends to haul in a wheelbarrow and stack. In say grass. That way when it takes 3 months I’m not hearing how stupid it was to take SOs parking spot up with a pile of wood for 3 months.

Is the wood already blocked and split? If so, I’d drop it in the driveway. IMO the driveway is easier to clean up afterwards.

If it’s in log form I’d drop it in the grass.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Which ever is closer and won't give you any havoc especially with parking and other things that might have to come in----------grass my opinion but keep off the ground with blocks or something..old clancey

In my case grass
closer to final resting place

In my case grass
closer to final resting place
If I can’t easily toss it to where I’m stacking an extra 100’ in a wheelbarrow is meaningless.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
It is split.Just worried about damaging the driveway versus possibly damaging a sprinkler head.It seems alot of people dump it on the driveway with no damage.

split wood won't damage your driveway. I have oak logs, 30" dia, 10 ft long, delivered to my driveway by tilting up the loading part of the truck (sorry, not a native speaker, don't know the right terminology here). No damage. And those are HEAVY.

• Wow
Reactions: AstroBoy
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
It is split.Just worried about damaging the driveway versus possibly damaging a sprinkler head.It seems alot of people dump it on the driveway with no damage.
Nothing will happen.

Do note that dropping wood from a dump truck onto asphalt has a very high probability of causing damage to your driveway, especially if dropped on the fragile edge of said asphalt driveway. I've seen this happen more than once.

It's been crazy soggy wet here, our lawns sound like a wet sponge under foot, so it's a terrible time to have to put a dump truck (or wood) on your lawn. But lawns heal and driveways don't, so I'd be dumping on the lawn. If you could delay 2 - 3 weeks, in the hopes that things may dry out a bit, even better.

I guess that depends then on the way the driveway was constructed. Because here it's been fine. Indeed not at the edge though.

Reactions: Ashful
I guess that depends then on the way the driveway was constructed. Because here it's been fine. Indeed not at the edge though.
I think you're right. I got away with it at my house, those big 50" rounds I just posted in the scrounging thread were dropped from a dump truck onto my driveway. But after I saw what it did to two other driveways, I decided I'd never take that chance again.

I suspect some driveways are much thinner than others, and base prep can vary. But if you didn't install the driveway yourself, it might not be a bad idea to just play it safe.

Absolutely

I've taken knuckle-boom log-length deliveries (~3 cord each) dumped on the front lawn. Pressure to remove from turf, perceived odd looks from neighbors, and desire to not displease wife makes for incentives for quick processing. Turf recovers easily if not abused too long or if done too often. Use driveway if you have ample room, provided the operator is careful (slid off rather than dropped from height). It wasn't an option for me because of narrow drive and low service drops that makes dumps on lawn my only option. If big, large diameter, heavy logs definitely would not dump on drive.