Best place to rent a splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
In a couple of weeks I need to start splitting the 2+ cords I've got lying around the yard. I've never rented a splitter before and was wondrering which is the best place to go - local rental place, big chain rental place, local hardware store, big box store? Any advice would be appreciated.

Stegman, I prefer the local rental stores that are run well. To satisfy full disclosure, I own rental stores. We operate under the name Grand Rental Station but Taylor Rental stores belong to the same coop which is owned by True Value. I beleive that the service is better from these Mom and Pop operations. However, when it comes to log splitters there is not a lot to go wrong with them. Typically rental operations lean towards units with Honda engines. The most common problem we experience is hydraulic line failure. This is typically caused by operator error but the occasional unexpected blow out does happen. (I should clarify that with the fact the truly most common problem we see is someone getting a log stuck on the wedge and they don't have the common sense to just put another log in to finish it off) The big box stores on small ticket items like log splitters would typically have you bring the splitter back if there were a problem. The local stores are more apt to send out a replacement or fix the problem. Of course cost is always an issue and you will have to shop your local market to figure that one out. Good luck!

Around here, you get a better price at the local rental store over the national chain rental (Home Depot here).

If I recall prices, Home Depot rental is ~$75/day.

One local shop is $40/four hours and the other is $50/day. The latter shop allows you to rent if on Saturday morning and return it on Monday and only be charged one day.

Thanks guys. I've got a local place the next town over and a couple Taylor Rentals nearby. I'll start with those.

I agree with most of the posts, a reliable rental outfit that takes care of their gear and look for weekend specials. My rental guy has the splitter for $100/ 2 days starting early fall. Typically it's $75/day for a 27 ton single wedge.

Called around today and got a couple of quotes. They're all reasonable. But one place was talking about additional insurance that can be purchased [for $15] that cover anything that goes wrong without outside of negligence.

My first inclination is "rip off!" Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not? I would imagine that the rental places insure the equipment themselves, and if something horrible goes wrong - like the motor seizes or something - that's their problem [assuming there's no negligence].

Any company that insures stuff against breakdowns makes their money in one of two ways: either they have extremely accurate breakdown statistics and repair costs on all makes and models and are able to price their insurance just high enough to make a profit, OR (note the capital letters), they take your money as premiums and then make money by denying as many claims as possible. Deciding which type of company you're dealing with requires extensive research. You decide what you want to do...

Here is the inside scoop on what you are referring to as "insurance" from a rental company owner. Rental companies do not have licenses to sell insurance! What you are being offered or required to pay (depending on the company) is damage waiver. Damage waiver coverages vary by company but for the most part cover you against accidental damage to the equipment while you have it rented. This coverage typically varies from 10% to 15% of the rental fee. The standard requirements for damages to be covered under this fee is that you treat the item as a prudent person should treat a piece of equipment. If you rent a 2 cycle chainsaw and run straight gas in it, don't expect the damages to be covered. If you rent a log splitter and a hydraulic line blows out during normal use of the splitter that would be covered by damage waiver. If you opt not to take the damage waiver then you are essentially agreeing to bring the item back in the same condition that you rented it in. So if that hydraulic line fails and you didn't take the damage waiver, you accepted the responsibility to pay to fix it. One of the bigger issues to worry about is theft. Damage waiver will not cover theft, remember it is not insurance. My recommendation would be to make sure that your homeowners insurance company will cover you in the event the item is stolen, take the damage waiver so that there is no hassle if something small were to happen, and treat the item like it were your own.

Sorry, I misread your post. My answer applied to after purchase insurance, not rental insurance.

DanCorcoran said:
Sorry, I misread your post. My answer applied to after purchase insurance, not rental insurance.

Now it all makes sense. I totally agree. I never buy extended warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.