Best Placement for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theRog05

Aug 15, 2014
Rochester, NY
Hey all,

I'm trying to get a feel on how I would like to heat my home instead of paying an absurd amount for oil this winter.

With that being said, I have been thinking about buying a Pelpro 130 Pellet Stove to try and heat most of the house. Does anyone have any advice on the best place to put a Pellet Stove in my house to try and accomplish this?

My thought was to put it in the lower right corner of the downstairs living room in diagram below. We rarely spend any time in that room (most time is spent in entertainment room or master bedroom) but I thought the heat may travel to these two areas best.

Any information would be helpful (best location, stove models that put out huge amount of heat)

Thanks,

layout-png.136592

I think that's a solid plan. You should get good circulation with it there.

Don't forget, you can always rig up a way to run the blower on your furnace (if you have one) with a cheap thermostat to move the air around in the home. It's what I'm doing and it's working out great. I just located the stat opposite the stove on my floor plan. Example using your diagram: Put it in the Entertainment room or the kitchen if you are running the fireplace on the regular.

I was just talking to a friend and he gave me a pretty good idea. I have forced oil heat. Which means there is a fan that must blow air throughout the ducts to get to every room in the house. There is a handy option on my thermostat (like most of them) to have that fan set to "Auto" or "On". I never thought of a good reason to use the "On" until now. If I run a pellet stove and turn the thermostat to "On" and have the fan always running, it should draw hot air from the return in the room that the pellet stove is installed and push that heat through the house. I understand that this will cost me more money in electricity running the fan but I can run some tests on if it would be worth it if it moves enough heat. Once I get the stove installed, I will have to keep everyone here posted on my results.

So, basically what Johnny just said :p

Great minds think alike

Although, your idea is better because the fan would only kick on when the temp was below a certain degree. How did you rig up yours without kicking the actual furnace on and just the blower?

LOL exactly.

Careful running it 24/7 though. It's why I run the cheap t-stat. Those things have a duty cycle and running them continuous will cut their life down quite a bit.

So right now, my thermostat is in the living room on the wall where the stairs are. Should I rig up a second thermostat in the entertainment room to turn on the furnace fan when the temp drops to a certain degree? If so, how would one "rig" up the furnace blower to do so.

Thanks Johnny!

My furnace thermostat is hooked up like normal and left alone. Set to 60°F. If we are not home, it will kick on after the pellet stove goes out and keep the house at the bare minimum. No need to move it or mess with its wiring.

I have a cheap (Honeywell I think) dial type thermostat. It was like $15 at Lowes. This was placed farthest from the stove in my home and connected to the furnace control board with just standard 2 wire t-stat cable. You connect to the Rh and G terminals on the control board. Rh is the 24v power from the furnace transformer and G is where you would hook to if you had central air normally. When the t-stat closes the circuit, the 24v goes to G and this triggers the blower on without firing the furnace.

LOL, I'm new here and new to pellets, but I know electronics and how furnaces work.

And smart? LOL better ask my wife about that...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.