Best "polish" or "cleaner" for black cast iron??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, just cleaning everything to do with my GM60. The black cast iron could use a little love. I do not want to paint, nothing that intense. Is there a product that works on just the black cast iron to clean it up a bit? I have seen a few, but seems the reviews are not that good. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks, Dave

The stove is painted cast iron. Don't use stove black polish. The waxy compounds in it will make the stove very hard to repaint without sandblasting later on. Use the factory recommended touch up paint. Something like Stove Brite metallic black works well on cast iron. It is actually more grayish than black.

Thanks!

FWIW if you touch it up with paint, the paint will smoke during the first few fires no matter how long it dries. It is part of the drying process. It will smoke out the area and possibly the house. Many folks like that new stove look but beware of the payback with house full of smoke in the fall.

FWIW if you touch it up with paint, the paint will smoke during the first few fires no matter how long it dries. It is part of the drying process. It will smoke out the area and possibly the house. Many folks like that new stove look but beware of the payback with house full of smoke in the fall.
Touch ups won’t smoke as bad as a new stove. A lot of the new stove smoke is mineral oil from fabricating. There will be an odor, not too bad though.