1. coaly

coaly
    Fisher Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Loc:
    NE PA
    We're always putting orange peels on the stove top at moderate temps. One has to wonder if orange wood smells like, er... orange?

2. bogydave

bogydave
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2009
    Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Of the 2 choices I have (Birch & spruce) , spruce smells the best unless it's a log with allot of pitch.

The black smoke off the birch bark is nasty stuff.

The smell of it in the stack seasoning, birch smells pretty good & the spruce don't have much odor at all.

Neither wood has the good smell of the smoker when using "store bought" apple or hickory. ;)

3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 1, 2013
    Loc:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Apple, Lilac, Hickory all smell nice to me.

A lot of the other hardwoods have the traditional "firewood" smell goin on... which I also love.

The worst is an undergrowth tree my old man loves cutting from wet areas. The stuff is terrible!! (but very dense).

4. The Beagler

The Beagler
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Nov 13, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern Ky
    Favorites: cherry & apple. Hickory & walnut a close second. Worst: ornamental pear & tulip poplar

Insomnivore likes this.
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead
    Guest 2.
    NULL

Alder, apple, pecan, doug fir, larch, cherry/plum, & maple.

The bad 'uns: cottonwood, willow, aspen, & poplar all smell like cat pee.

6. Gark

Gark
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2007
    Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Eucalyptus.

7. Wood Duck

Wood Duck
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 26, 2009
    Loc:
    Central PA
    When cutting i think Black Birch is the best because of the wintergreen smell, although I generally like the smell of most oaks, pines, red cedar, fruit woods, sassafras, maple, and I guess most woods.

I can't smell the wood when it burns in the stove unless I am outside, and then only until the secondaries kick in. With the secondaries burning it all smells like burning coal to me, which isn't a great smell in my opinion.

8. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 25, 2012
    Loc:
    Boulder, CO
    I have very limited experience to reference from but I always like a little birch or white oak.

The birch is almost like incense, we used to have this little log cabin incense burner my mom would light up around the holidays, reminds me of that...