1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best smelling wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Ehouse, Jan 4, 2013.

1. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    We're always putting orange peels on the stove top at moderate temps. One has to wonder if orange wood smells like, er... orange?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Of the 2 choices I have (Birch & spruce) , spruce smells the best unless it's a log with allot of pitch.

The black smoke off the birch bark is nasty stuff.

The smell of it in the stack seasoning, birch smells pretty good & the spruce don't have much odor at all.

Neither wood has the good smell of the smoker when using "store bought" apple or hickory. ;)
  3. BuckthornBonnie

BuckthornBonnie New Member

Loc:
    Penn Yan, NY
    Apple, Lilac, Hickory all smell nice to me.

A lot of the other hardwoods have the traditional "firewood" smell goin on... which I also love.

The worst is an undergrowth tree my old man loves cutting from wet areas. The stuff is terrible!! (but very dense).
  4. The Beagler

The Beagler Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Northern Ky
    Favorites: cherry & apple. Hickory & walnut a close second. Worst: ornamental pear & tulip poplar
    Insomnivore likes this.
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Alder, apple, pecan, doug fir, larch, cherry/plum, & maple.

The bad 'uns: cottonwood, willow, aspen, & poplar all smell like cat pee.
  6. Gark

Gark Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Eucalyptus.
  7. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Eucs grow in Michigan? :rolleyes:
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    When cutting i think Black Birch is the best because of the wintergreen smell, although I generally like the smell of most oaks, pines, red cedar, fruit woods, sassafras, maple, and I guess most woods.

I can't smell the wood when it burns in the stove unless I am outside, and then only until the secondaries kick in. With the secondaries burning it all smells like burning coal to me, which isn't a great smell in my opinion.
  9. Cross Cut Saw

Cross Cut Saw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    The City of Ships, Bath, Maine
    I have very limited experience to reference from but I always like a little birch or white oak.

The birch is almost like incense, we used to have this little log cabin incense burner my mom would light up around the holidays, reminds me of that...