Best Time of the Year to Purchase Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I was told that the best time of the year to purchase wood (in Atlantic Canada) was early fall. I would think late spring would be a good time, because then it would have a few summer months to dry whereas if purchased in the fall, you are never sure how old the wood is?

I would purchase it at least a year before you plan to need it. ie - if you expect your first fire will be November 15, 2008, you should have purchased wood in November 2007. Wood from a 'firewood man' is rarely ever 'seasoned' - even if it is claimed to be. There's no use in wasting money and wood by burning it wet. That said, buying in the 'off season' (spring summer) may be a little cheaper, but you should still let it sit for a year before burning.

thre are tons of threads about drying firewood..My rule of thumb is at least 6 months of dry time, under good conditions af, being in direct sun, good wind/cross ventaliation

I have a different idea.

You are trying to buy green wood so that it is cheaper than the"seasoned" wood that the firewood man thinks he can mark up since it is ready to use.

Buying wood in the fall is a bad idea because that's when everyone else is thinking about buying wood. High demand means bad time to buy.

Around here, the mountain snow melts off in spring and allows a massive logging effort to take place to try and refill the mills full of logs after the winter. The massive logging effort leads to massive piles of waste logs (firewood) and the melted snow allows new access to landings for firewood guys. Essentially a boom in supply.

Buy in Spring and get it split up and stacked ASAP if you hope to burn it the same year's fall. Price should be low as a reflection of high supply and low demand. You might even be getting last year's leftovers which could be somewhat seasoned.

Best time to buy wood is when it is the lowest cost. Best time to burn it is something different. Never buy this year what you intend to burn this year. Buy a year ahead. Not only will the wood burn better, you will use much less wood, therefore saving you many dollars.

I have a price structure I folow every year that is a little complicated to follow for some one who has never been in the business.It revolves around fuel prices ,labor costs, available contracts for raw material, and what local compitition is doing. But for the most part Feb-Apr. is the cheapest time to buy.

Les-Wood is correct-feb-april. Having said that,you also must keep on eye on your local paper. eg: in these parts the going price ranges between $160-185 csd softwood. Last week of feb. I spyed csd for $150 and rounds for $130. Bought a cord of each even though my woodsheds are full. As I type this the only thing available at the moment is $185csd. That may or may not change in the next month or two.

Bottom line is always expect your delivered wood to be green. And when you see some real competition appearing,have the cash ready and be prepared to jump on it! Even if your woodsheds are full :cheese:

Yup, this year I am having alittle over 10 full cord delievered in log length. I will finally have two years supply stored!

I usually purchase wood in the spring, cut and stack till fall, then burn for the winter. For the winter I store it in a nice woodshed so it is dry. This really helps with the good burning. Never had a problem with it not burning well or being too green. Right now I can buy 6 full cords deliverd for $350.00. This makes it a lot easier than going scrounging for wood. Once cut up this will last me 2-3 years so about 100 bucks a year for evening and weekend burns which can cut my fuel bill by $800.00 each year.

We have burned wood since 1975, totally heating with it except the last few years but now with the price of fuel are going back to partial heating with it. When there is a cutting near us I do get a state wood permit to get it for almost free as long as it is close to home.

Whatever method you use be sure to cure it at least one summer in cut and split stacks.

wow, thats an awesome deal.Basically $58/cord..If I could get it for that, I would purchase 20 cord hands down

Thats about what I will pay for 10 cord of poles this year.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
wow, thats an awesome deal.Basically $58/cord..If I could get it for that, I would purchase 20 cord hands down

call around and ask for the volume discount and you will be surprised

shawnmd said:
I was told that the best time of the year to purchase wood (in Atlantic Canada) was early fall. I would think late spring would be a good time, because then it would have a few summer months to dry whereas if purchased in the fall, you are never sure how old the wood is?

You are right. Buy the wood now. Ask for seasoned wood, but assume if it is, it will be marginally seasoned. If the wood is green oak, buy now for the season after next.

All I know is I'm starting to find a lot more free firewood listings on Craigslist. Where I'm at it is usually slim pickings, yet tomorrow I have 3 locations to hit (one even has maple, which to me is huge since I have nothing but pine right now).

Seasoned wood has a premium price around here. So if I were to buy wood it would be anytime I could get a good price on green wood. I'd just keep buying it when I could and try and stay a year or more ahead.

If for whatever reason I was dependent on wood already split I purchase it as early in the spring as I could just so I know it could weather out in the sun and wind all summer. The key to efficient wood burning/heating is seasoned wood.

Wood is just like any other commodity... as more folks migrate to wood stoves it'll increase. So whatever you can stockpile above your needs is better than money in the bank.

Local paper states: Log length fire wood. 1500 cu. ft loads for $700 load. 1/2 loads available. Think I may jump on this one. Not sure if the logs are green or not and if they could be used for this upcoming heating season.

I think any time you can get a good deal is a good time to buy wood. You have to let it season, so you have to buy it well in advance and therefore you should buy it way ahead of time; any time.

RISurfer, first find out what type of wood it is. Price sounds good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.