Best trees to plant for future firewood harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I buried my 18 inch bar cutting some Black Locust trees back in the summer and I counted 35 rings on one of them. It has an amazing BTU output for such a fast growth rate and If I had to choose I'd plant a bunch of those. If you're lucky you could yield a lot of outstanding firewood after 20 years. Dries FAST too.

Locust, doug fir, alder.

I have about 30 Leyland Cypress on my one property lines. They're 30 years old and I'll guess all of them put together would not equal a cord of wood. So not a good choice to grow just for cultivating

Leylands cypress is one of the fastest growing trees, but suffer from disease when mature, and low BTU/cord. Not a good firewood tree.

I can't imagine planting any tree that I will burn in my lifetime. My grandkids... Maybe. I burn 80% oak, the balance being mostly ash, and pretty much always older than anyone on this forum. Good trees don't grow that fast.

I have read this thread a few times over the summer, might as well pipe up.

I vote for a couple or six big leaf maple in the mix. If you google search on "quitled maple" you'll see what I am talking about. Not every big leaf maple has a quilted grain structure, but the ones that do are worth big bucks as mature logs.

So far I got one knife handle out of quilted maple and a big enough piece seasoning some more to someday make revolver grips from. If I hit the lottery I'll probably buy a big enough piece to use as a stock on a muzzle loading rifle, that will be (currrently) about $500 for a piece 48" long, 3" thick and 6-8" wide. Selling a whole log of that off will buy a lot of firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.