Best way to break-in my new VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

charger4406

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2011
southern Quebec
Hi all this is my first post here,i have been reading the posts here for some time now and you all seem to have a great forum! I have a 1841 stone house, about 2900 sq-ft that I've been heating with a Regency f2400 airmate I bought in 1991 and a heat pump with electric back-up ,10 cord +$700 a year in electricity,mostly for hot water..... 2 teen girls,teen boy and 12yr old boy,shower NEVER STOPS!!! anyway I just got a new vc defiant 2-1 enameled today for $2100 tax included.....that is our crazy Quebec sales tax plus federal tax ! turns out a customer ordered it ,put a deposit down and disappeared 2 months ago without picking it up so I got the call to buy it for the difference owed,got lucky. MY question is does the enamel finish need to cure like the black stove paint and what is the best way to break-in this stove.

Don't know about the finish, but am considering buying a 2-in-1 Defiant and would be interested in your impressions as you begin using it.

Break the stove in by VC's guidelines in the manual. The enamel won't smoke like paint, but the cast iron needs a more gentle break in with successively warmer, longer fires. This is on page 24, complete with illustrations:

Conditioning Your Stove

Cast iron is extremely strong, but it can be broken with a sharp blow from a hammer or from the thermal shock of rapid and extreme temperature change.
The cast plates expand and contract with changes in temperature. When you first begin using your Defiant, minimize thermal stress by letting the plates adjust gradually during three or four initial break-in fires following Steps 1-3 below.

Non-Catalytic Wood Burning
Burn only solid wood in the Defiant, and burn it directly on the grate. Do not elevate the fuel. Do not burn coal or other fuels.
The bypass damper must be open when starting a fire or when refueling.
Do not use chemicals or fluids to start the fire. Do not burn garbage. Never use flammable fluids such as gasoline, gasoline type lantern fuel, kerosene, charcoal lighter fluid, naptha, engine oil or similar liquids to start or “freshen up†a fire in this heater. Keep all such liquids well away from the heater while it is in use.
1. Open the stove bypass damper, and open the primary air control fully.
2. Place several sheets of crumpled newspaper in the stove. Place six or eight pieces of dry kindling split to a finger-width size on the paper. On the kindling, lay two or three larger sticks of split dry wood approximately 1-2†(25-51 mm) in diameter. (Fig. 37)
3. Light the newspaper and close the door. Gradually build up the fire by adding a few 3-5†(80-120 mm) diameter pieces of split firewood. If this is one of the first few “break-in†fires, let the fire burn brightly, and then let it die out.

During the break-in fires, do not let the stove get hotter than 500°F. (260°C) as measured on an optional stove-top thermometer. Adjust the air control lever as necessary to control the fire.
Some odor from the stove’s hot metal and the paint is normal for the first few fires.

NOTE: Some chimneys must be “primed,†or warmed up, before they will draw sufficiently to start a fire. To correct this situation, roll up a couple pieces of newspaper, place them on top of the kindling and toward the back of the stove, light them, and close the doors. This will encourage the smoke to rise rapidly, making it easier to establish a good draft.
Once the draft is established, open the front door and light the rest of the fuel from the bottom. Do not light the main bed of fuel until the chimney begins drawing,

Thank-you Begreen, I did not get a manual yet for some reason it did not come with the stove,so the dealer said he would find me one then call but I want to get started on the break-in today. I'll update with my progress!

thanks BeGreen link came in handy,no patience to wait for the manual lol

How is the stove performing so far?

I find this to be a very good stove so far.
Compared to my regency it uses much less wood and heat my house much easier.
It took a few days to get to know this stove but I think I got the hang of it.
longest burn times I've had so far was 19 hrs on a full load of maple and on average
I've been getting about 10 hours,that is with a stove top temp of 350 and 2-3
inches of coals at the end.
The glass stays clean as i have only had to clean the haze off once a week.
I find the ash drawer works pretty good but if the stove is hot,over 475°F the pan warps a little
and it takes a little more effort to get it to open.
The temps stay pretty steady once the air is set,maybe half an hour to 50 min into the burn
if stove is still hot.
The refractory has taken a few shot when my wife has loaded the stove and I inspected it
once it cooled down and shows no damage.
So I am very happy with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.